Menu

Any TOGers who switched to Winterpromise or WP to TOG?

I used TOG for five years with my elementary aged kids and loved the content but not the planning. This year I took the year off and haven't done much history at all. I know how wonderful the TOG rhetoric level is and planned to go back for Ancients in 9th grade, but I just haven't been able to convince myself I really want to. I've spent some time looking over Winterpromise. I don't fully understand their program, but it looks a lot like a scheduled TOG to me. I'd really appreciate some feedback from anyone who's used both.

Thanks,

April in WA

I only used WP for one year, and it was American Story 1. Based on this, I would say that you would be going from one extreme to the other on teacher's notes -- WP basically didn't have any teacher's notes beyond instructions to read at the beginning of the year. If you don't want the help with history and literature discussions, and only want the daily reading schedule, WP would work.

April.

Oh that is a hard one. You see TOG is a better fit for me, but half of that is because I love to plan. Though I must admit that is the scheduling end. I am horrible about reading the teacher notes, and with kids the age of mine, I can get away with not reading them. ;)

Winter Promise is a Charlotte Mason approach, so instead of discussion you do narration. I haven't seen any of the upper level narration sheets, so I would encourage you to ask for some samples. I wonder if they are just straight narration or if they don't begin to work into more of a report feel.

My feeling is WP is much more than I had in High School, so how bad can it be? You can use maybe a course on logic to get close to the same...reasoning and analysis ability as TOG gives. You will miss some depth of understanding of History that TOG would provide, but that does come at a cost of time, energy, ect... We are talking history, and while I enjoy the topic immensely I just don't see it as ranking up there in importance. If you don't have the time, passion or energy that is going to show in trying to use TOG. It will mean burn out, a negative attitude (which will rub off on the kids) and in general, dropping things, which is not going to get you to the picture you have in your head of using TOG and having fantastic results, right?

If you can't do TOG and be excited about it, then hands down do WP and enjoy!

Heather

You will miss some depth of understanding of History that TOG would provide, but that does come at a cost of time, energy, ect... We are talking history, and while I enjoy the topic immensely I just don't see it as ranking up there in importance. If you don't have the time, passion or energy that is going to show in trying to use TOG. It will mean burn out, a negative attitude (which will rub off on the kids) and in general, dropping things, which is not going to get you to the picture you have in your head of using TOG and having fantastic results, right?

If you can't do TOG and be excited about it, then hands down do WP and enjoy!

Heather

Some would argue that TOG is more than history (lots of training in thinking -- reasoning and analysis -- because of the discussions, for example. :D This is something I was weak in, even as an "A" student, which is why it's a priority for me as a teacher.) However, I do agree that it comes at a cost, and, even as someone who loves TOG, I wonder if I could be happy with an easier, more independent program. (TOG has so much independence built into it, but moms have to prepare for discussions -- not by reading all the books that the kids do, though, which is nice.)

April, I wanted to point out the related threads that are linked at the bottom of the screen, which will give you more posts comparing the two, including more of Heather's comments (which are always good)! :D

Edited by profmom

We are using WP this year. It has been a wonderful year. However, I have never used TOG, so I can't compare.

This year my 15yo is using S&S with the OLG. I had planned to leave WP next year in order to do a 1-year US history.

Plans changed! Next year we will stay with WP and use their Quest for the Middle Ages. From the samples it looks like QMA has 3 week projects. Each 3 week period has 4 choices hands-on, creative, people-related, or geeked up. We are excited!

If you have any questions, let me know.

Mandy

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate every comment. I still have no idea what we will end up using. Now I'm intrigued by MFW also. It's a good thing I have more than a whole year to agonize over my decision. LOL! I'm sure I will be back with more specific questions as the days go by.

Thanks again,

April in WA