Menu

high school credit for Latina Christiana?

No, I wouldn't. It simply doesn't have the amount of translation that would be expected of a high school student, even in the first semester. On the other hand, an older student who has completed LC1 and 2 to mastery would be able to fly through a hs 1 level text pretty quickly.

but I won't say it would not be "fair". My son used Henle's, and he was WAY ahead of his high school friends in Latin by midyear. They were still doing basic Latin words. So....they were getting high school credit and so I wouldn't have a problem with assigning credit for it if I needed to.

Blessings,

Stephanie

My first instinct would be no, because it is a program intended for much younger children. However, my high school Spanish texts were very simple. Going through LC I and II would certainly be comparable to, if not more extensive than, my first year of Spanish in a public high school. I guess the real question is how long did it take to complete the curriculum? I believe 120-150 hours = 1 credit is a good rule-of-thumb, although I know some people don't believe in counting by hours. I'm just saying, if it was completed in a relatively short period of time, I wouldn't give full credit for using an elementary text.

Here's the National Latin Exam syllabus for Latin 1:

http://nle.org/2006syll_i.pdf

It's not meant to be a full year's syllabus, but to cover Latin 1 through about the first week of March.

I'm sure there are stories of sub-par public school Latin programs, but the NLE is a generally accepted measure for Latin programs (public and private).

Perhaps a half credit for "Introduction to Ecclesiastical Latin" would be more appropriate (for a student who has completely LC1 and 2)?

Guest Chemnitz

Our son is enrolled this year in a Virtual Academy as a 10th grader. The school gave him a whole credit as Introduction to Latin and Latin culture for going through LC I & II. In the school they use an on-line version of Powerglide Latin. He has learned some through the Powerglide, but not so much more than LC.

FWIW.

From the general teaching guidelines:

LC can be adapted to a variety of ages and ability levels...High school students may complete the course in one semester with no assistance.

Hence my thinking that completing both might be worth one credit.

My oldest did most of LC 1 and then took Latin through Seton, which uses Henle. He did 2 years. Most of the very beginning of Henle he already knew from LC. I am asking because DD12 has dyslexia and I was going to skip Latin with her and just do Spanish like she wants. However, I pulled out LC 1 to prep to use it with DD10 and thought that my older dd could probably do it. I don't think she could handle Henle, with the amount of reading, translating, and the tiny print. But I would like her to have the benefit of Latin, especially since she is interested in being a vet. A nearby university has a special Spanish course for people who have disabilities that might interfere. I interviewed the professor who teaches it and the structure of that course strikes me as being very similar to LC.

I was just looking at what's available and it seems like one could add in Lingua Angelica 1 and 2 also. I think that would certainly be enough to be a one credit Introduction to Latin or some title like that.

How does Latina Christiana translate into high school Latin credits?

Unfortunately, there are no universal standards for a full year of high school Latin today. In the past, students completed the whole grammar in one year of high school. However, that is rarely done in even a whole year of college Latin today.

Typically, LC I & II together are more than a semester of high school Latin. In most areas, you will find that they cover more Latin grammar than local high schools do in a year. (As an example, the best public high school in Louisville, KY doesn't begin the subjunctive until the 4th year of Latin. They spend 4 years just learning the Latin grammar!)

In short:

If you have mastered LC I & II and the first 5 units of Henle Latin I, you will have a very strong year of high school Latin in any school district.

If you have mastered LC I & II, you will have at least a semester of high school Latin and probably a full year in 75% of the school districts.

How about doing LC I and II PLUS something else, like the book of Latin games Memoria has to round out a 9th grade year of Latin study?

Also, I subscribe to some credits based on hours put in and some on completed texts. Latin is one where hours spent focusing on grammar and figuring out translations is way harder than just completing, say Apologia's Physical Science text.

I absolutely was dreading starting Henle with my dd, who also has a bit of dyslexia (and a case of being 14!). She would absolutely cringe at the dead hostages and all. Maybe one more year of maturity and she will be able to handle it. For 9th grade, we will do LC I and II and I thank the person who began this thread. It helped me to look outside the box! :)

Margo

You're welcome, Margo! That is the conclusion I came to as well -

I was just looking at what's available and it seems like one could add in Lingua Angelica 1 and 2 also. I think that would certainly be enough to be a one credit Introduction to Latin or some title like that.

the memory work and grammar that students will revisit in high school, there is a huge jump up in the depth of high school Latin assignments. College Latin is another huge jump in my opinion. Maybe I just have really high standards though. I didn't start counting any Latin until they began Latin in the Christian Trivium, or Latin Book One. The amount of reading, translating, writing from English to Latin and Latin to English is quite a bit in these books. Compared to LC or LfC it is much tougher. They have worked very hard for their high school credit, but I want them to become fluent readers. If you back your credits up with National Latin Awards, then that may give your transcript a boost. I've never considered an Introduction to Latin course.

I have to comment that the Latin course my dd is doing for first-year high school Latin, using Wheelock's, is lightyears from what she did when she did LCI and LCII. I know that credit hours are somewhat subjective, but I wouldn't have given her a full credit for doing LCI and II in high school when I see what she's doing now. Just a thought.

I have a new plan, well, kinda my original plan. We will be close to finishing LC I in 8th grade (probably 3/4 of it) and then for 9th grade, I will add LC II for the first semester, going quickly through it, and then add Henle for the second semester. I looked at the other offerings at Memoria and although I like Lingua Angelica, I don't see my dd really wanting to do that one, and of course, Ludere Latine is called Latin Word Games, which probably wouldn't qualify as part of the curriculum.

So, there's my plan and I'm stickin' to it! :)

Margo

the memory work and grammar that students will revisit in high school, there is a huge jump up in the depth of high school Latin assignments. College Latin is another huge jump in my opinion. Maybe I just have really high standards though. I didn't start counting any Latin until they began Latin in the Christian Trivium, or Latin Book One. The amount of reading, translating, writing from English to Latin and Latin to English is quite a bit in these books. Compared to LC or LfC it is much tougher. They have worked very hard for their high school credit, but I want them to become fluent readers. If you back your credits up with National Latin Awards, then that may give your transcript a boost. I've never considered an Introduction to Latin course.

I think there is a difference in goals. I think Latin is very important, but I am not aiming to make my children fluent readers, especially not my dyslexic dd. I want it for the boost it will give her English and grammar. I made my oldest take 2 years of Latin through Seton and then let him choose whether or not to take Latin 3. He said NO so fast it made my head spin! :lol:

My ds, who took 3 years of Latin, could NOT be convinced to take just one more year as a senior. I tried to remind him of all the fun we had doing Latin, but mostly he remembers the endless sentences about the Romans slaughtering somebody. :glare: In his view, the best thing about Latin was the time we had together drinking tea and laughing at all the ways I expressed my 'love' for the language. Yes, the Romans were some kind of wacky, fun bunch of guys and 'if they were so smart' (I used to ask him, and I'm sure I will pass this discussion question on to my dd...), 'how come they came up with such an annoying language?'. Hope all you Latin lovers out there will understand that I say this with a smile! :D

I know Latin was 'good' for him and he scored high on his ACT (not sure if it was the Latin or Vocab from Classical Roots though!), and I know it will benefit my dd as she needs some help straightening out those neural pathways. I also know that I dread doing it again as my pathways are permanently curved! ;)

Enjoy your "Latin Tea".

Margo

We've been through LC1 and LC2, and Henle 1. My honest feeling would be no; in fact, I think that the content of both LC1 and LC2 would be more equivalent to approximately one semester of high school Latin. Both books are excellent preparation, but to me don't cover enough ground to equal one full credit.

But, I'm not a Latin expert! This is just my .02 worth.