Menu

Apologia Chemistry Question

As I am looking for a science for my ds for next year (10th grade), I see that for this chem. course there is a full-course cd-ROM. Has anyone used this? Do you need to get anything else besides this cd-ROM to complete the course? Does it show experiments on it? What about the multi-media Companion cd-ROM--Is it good to get? Would I still need the Solutions and Tests book?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me! :001_smile:

As I am looking for a science for my ds for next year (10th grade), I see that for this chem. course there is a full-course cd-ROM. Has anyone used this? Do you need to get anything else besides this cd-ROM to complete the course? Does it show experiments on it? What about the multi-media Companion cd-ROM--Is it good to get? Would I still need the Solutions and Tests book?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me! :001_smile:

Brindee, you asked me to reply in the other thread, but I don't know the answers to any of these qeustions. I'm really sorry! Dd is taking Apologia Chemisty at a co-op; they just do the experiments in class, and the teacher covers material the students don't understand. It is fairly low key. Dd manages it all herself, except that I grade her review questions and tests for her. On occasion she has had a question for me (I have an ancient bachelors in biochem), but it's rare.

I'm sorry I can't help, but I didn't want to ignore you. :)

You asked elsewhere about BJU Chemistry. It was much more textbook/lab manual-y, much more fact-y than Apologia. The Homesat teacher was humorous in a wry, ironic way, and my ds loved him! It was a great course for ds. Dd wanted to do Apologia so she'd have classmates at co-op, and with the dual credit and AP courses she's taking, Apologia was a way to manage some sanity in her life.

If you go with the full-course cd, I believe that is all you will need. Except, perhaps, the optional lab equipment, which makes the labs easier to complete.

The multimedia cd is optional with the textbook. I suspect all of its content is included on the full-course cd. I believe the Apologia catalog and website explain these things clearly.

If you go with the full-course cd, I believe that is all you will need. Except, perhaps, the optional lab equipment, which makes the labs easier to complete.

The multimedia cd is optional with the textbook. I suspect all of its content is included on the full-course cd. I believe the Apologia catalog and website explain these things clearly.

Really? Where I was looking on the website , I couldn't figure out the answer to those questons. Thanks for your answers, that helped me a lot! Maybe I just needed to look harder, eh? :001_huh::001_smile:

Hi Brindee,

We're doing chem this year using the text & multi-media cd (it's helpful imo). I believe the "full course" you're looking at has both these things - the text, which the student would read on the computer screen, as if looking at a web site, plus the animations, videos, etc that are on "our" multi-media cd. We also have the MP3 disc (reads the text aloud), but we haven't used it much. This disc plays on a computer or a special MP3 disc player... it's not like an audio book (can't listen during the hour drive to piano lesson - lol). If I understand correctly, the full course you're considering does not read the text to the student. As I said, it's like reading on the computer screen. Sorry, but idk if the "full course" cd comes with tests & solutions. Hope someone else will jump in with more info! :)

~Karen