Menu

Has anyone done the 7th grade talent search for Duke TIP....

We have done the 4th/5th grade talent search for Duke. Now, I'm looking at the 7th grade one. The only standardized test she has taken was the EXPLORE test earlier this yearas a 6th grader. But, the EXPLORE test is not included on their list of qualifying tests.

I know the student has to score at least 95% on a grade level test, but what about an above level grade test? Has anyone done the 7th grade talent search?

Thanks,

Karen

My oldest son took the ACT in February as part of the Duke TIP 7th grade talent search. He qualified for the 4th/5th & 7th grade searches using the Stanford Achievement test. Here is a list of qualifying tests and supplemental tests: http://www.tip.duke.edu/talent_searches/grade_7/enrollment_criteria.html I don't see the EXPLORE test listed, but you could certainly call and ask.

What test did your daughter take to qualify for the EXPLORE test? Can she take that test again this April/May? The Duke TIP 7th grade talent search will open in September, and qualified participants can take the SAT or ACT in December 2009 or February 2010. You do have the summer to make sure your daughter takes one of the qualified tests during this time.

HTH!

Unfortunately, I don't see the parent recommendation as an option for the 7th grade search.

If your daughter did well on the EXPLORE, I would encourage you to find a standarized test so that she can qualify for the 7th grade search. The ACT was a great experience for my 7th grade son. He did very well & will be recognized at a ceremony in May. We don't get many opportunities to be recognized for our accomplishments like our public school cousins, so this has been a great way for my oldest son to display the efforts of his diligent work. In addition, he now feels very comfortable and successful in any setting for standardized testing. For me, that's half the battle; the knowledge will come with a little more time.

I received a card in the mail the other day for Seton Testing Service which offers standardized testing for homeschoolers. I've never used them, but they did list their website: http://www.setontesting.com

We have done the 4th/5th grade talent search for Duke. Now, I'm looking at the 7th grade one. The only standardized test she has taken was the EXPLORE test earlier this yearas a 6th grader. But, the EXPLORE test is not included on their list of qualifying tests.

I know the student has to score at least 95% on a grade level test, but what about an above level grade test? Has anyone done the 7th grade talent search?

Thanks,

Karen

Both my boys took the ACT through Duke's TIP when they were in 7th grade. They qualified by taking the ITBS. That test is a state-mandated one for us, but parents who have a bachelor's degree can give it to their own children by buying it through the BJUP website. If you don't have a bachelor's degree, someone who does can administer the test for you. The process of becoming an approved administrator on the BJUP website is relatively painless.