Menu

Is anyone here using e-mealz for dinner plannning?

It sounds good, and I'm wondering if anyone here has used it and had success with lowering their food budget. If you have used it and have an opinion, I want to know! :001_smile:

I'm thinking it would be good for my family, not only to help control costs, but to have a clearer-cut idea of how much each of us *should* be eating. I tend to make too much food, thinking I can use the leftovers later, and then everyone eats until it's all gone. If I had the servings planned out for me (though I'd still have to go 1 1/2 times each plan in order to have enough servings) it seems like that would be good for us all to get used to.

ETA: I realize that this has been asked before, but since it's been a little while, I thought maybe more of you will have tried it now.

Edited by Julie in CA

I don't use that, but it looks similar to what I use, a book called Supper's on the table, come home, by Rachel Masters. Most of the servings are 4-6 and pretty generous- I think she has 4 or 5 kids? It has 13 weeks of meal plans including main dishes and side dishes for each dinner, and a dessert and snack each week. It tells you exactly what time to do each step of the prep so that everything is done right at 6pm. It also includes a shopping list for each week, and you just cross out what you already have. It's been a miracle book for me.

The dinners are mostly what she calls "down-home comfort foods" nothing exotic past things like fajitas and stir-frys. There are also very few processed ingredients, she even includes recipes for things like the biscuits, pie crusts etc. I lost my first book and just bought another last week :lol:.

PM me (anyone) if you would like an example of any of the meals :D.

We use e-mealz here but I'm still a newbie so not sure how helpful this will be. But, I must say, I love it. I am a foodie and love to cook but, as you know, homeschooling the kiddoes and trying to take care of life as well doesn't leave time for all of the leisurely things I would love to do. So, now, instead of Sunday evening being my time to lock myself away in the schoolroom and write out our week's lesson plans and a menu and shopping list....I just print out my menu and shopping list from the website and all that's left are my lesson plans. This has simplified my life tremendously.

I substitute when it makes sense for our family (i.e. whole wheat instead of white, homemade spaghetti sauce instead of bottled, whichever veggies are in season, etc...) and spend more than they do (each shopping list has prices listed based on which store you are shopping at) as we use a lot of organic and whole wheat foods. But, it has simplified my life tremendously and has gotten me out of the fixing-the-same-seven-standby-dinners-again syndrome. ETA: Even though we spend more than they list, we are still spending considerably less than we were because it's all planned out and easy to adjust for what's on sale, etc...

Some of the meals are simply standards that have been tweaked (grilled cheese made with cream cheese; tomato soup that has a can of diced tomatoes added to it, etc...) but they are all easy to prepare, easy to adapt to your family's preferences, and have I mentioned it has simplified my life tremendously?!:001_smile:

Edited by Debbie in OR
additional info.