Menu

Some Questions re: NICHE (Iowa) Conference

Dh & I are considering attending this conference, but after reading the thread about conferences I have a couple of questions.

First, is this one really crowded? I want to be sure we'll be able to walk around easily, get seats for the keynotes, etc.

Second, how's the food? :D I'm wondering if we should do the pre-paid on site lunches or just run out & get something. Also, are you allowed to bring in water bottles?

Thanks!

Guest Katia

The one thing I would caution you about, is there is NO air-conditioning in the two gymnasiums where the curriculum vendors are set up. It is usually really, really hot and walking around crowded curriculum displays and trying to peruse books when it's stifling hot .....well, you can make your own decision. For us, it was miserable.

Sorry I can't tell you about the on-site food, we brought a cooler with our lunch/drinks. We didn't have any problems finding seats at conferences. Just arrive a bit early.

If you don't mind driving to Minnesota, we found we preferred the MACHE conference there as compared to the one in Iowa.

I agree about Pella food Elizabeth. :)

Thanks for the heads up re: no a/c Katia. I'll have to let dh know--that may be a deal breaker for him. We don't live in Iowa, but the conference closest to us is scheduled for the middle of the week rather than on a weekend. Since dh's parents live in Pella we thought we could drop the kids with them & then head up to Des Moines. Hmmm. I guess if I had a specific list of vendors to visit I could avoid spending a bunch of time in the gyms. Used book sales always take me a long time though--I suppose that could be an incentive to buy less!!

Thank you both for your help!