Menu

Question about Classical Writing

I need help deciding what writing program to do next year for my 7th grader. A little background: I also have younger children but I am planning on doing WWE with them. We used TOG Y2 Units 1 and 2 this year and will be using TOG Y2 Units 3 and 4. I bought the Writing Aids and was all set to use that this year but I have found it difficult to pull off. I REALLY want to use it because 1.) it goes along with the curriculum and 2.) I already spent the money on it. However, I have only done about 1 or 2 assignments out of it for the whole year :( I know how important writing is and I just can't let another year go by without consistent, weekly, writing instruction. I think the reason I have not been able to be consistent with using Writing Aids is because it takes too much prep time from me (making copies etc.) and also because it doesn't seem to teach the child how to write. It is a great resource and is wonderful at explaining what you need to end up with, but "how to get there" is really left up to your ability as a teacher to explain it. This year has been a year of realizing my limitations I guess. With 7 children and a baby due in July, I see that I cannot use a program that requires a lot of prep time from me. So I started researching and saw that Susan Wise Bauer highly recommends Writing Strands. I was all set to go with that and then found so many people unhappy with it on these boards. Then I didn't know what to do. I am so afraid of messing up with their writing! I looked at Write Shop and Classical Writing. Which one do you think would work better for someone with a lot of children and not a lot of time? Also, it looks like they include grammar and vocabulary in the CW program. Would I still need to use Abeka Grammar and Vocabulary like we are doing now? Another concern I had was the reading. We are already doing a lot of reading with TOG. Would this be too much reading for a 7th grader?

Or maybe I should just stick out with Writing Aids and make it work since funds are very limited? I just do not know what to do.

I would love some input on this. I am trying to get our curriculum plan ready for next year and I'm already stressing. I really need to simplify everything. It can get so crazy around here and with the new baby coming......well, lets just say I'm struggling with the command to "be anxious for nothing..."

Sincerely,

Renee

I will start by saying I like CW and I have 2 students using it. But if you need very little teacher involvement, I would not choose CW. CW is much richer if the teacher is actively involved with their student.

WriteShop is a decent program but it requires one-on-one time as well.

Another option for you to consider is Meaningful Composition. It takes the student step by step through the writing process and can be done independently by the student.

But if funds are low, you might consider sticking with the Writing Aids and also having your 7th grader do some oral (or written) narrations on the history readings. He/she could also do some outlining of the same.

Thank you for your reply....here are a few more questions I thought of.

How much time does it take you (the teacher) daily? Can you just sit down, open up the book and go or do you have a lot of prep to do?

What about the grammar? Do you need a separate grammar program?

Thank you,

Renee

grader because, like you, we had neglected writing. However, it is teacher-intensive. You have to read about how to use the program before you start. It is rather confusing at first, but soon becomes easy to follow. That's the good news. It does a nice job teaching writing and grammar (we are using Harvey because it is scheduled--get the workbooks for Harvey, if you go that route). I spend 30-45 minutes per day working with my two older ones, four days a week. Yes, they have gotten tons out of it. But it really is NOT set up for the kids to work on alone. You could enroll your 7th grader in the on-line program at CW to reduce your load. With the number of kids you have and a baby on the way, I'd strongly consider doing that, if you choose CW.

I have another question.....how well is this program in teaching the children how to write.

Renee

It isn't the straight forward step-by-step that I was used to in a writing program. But there is a specific scope to each writing project and has detailed instructions on what you are to do. The writing tools that the student learns on Days 2-4 are very good. The student learns to tear a sentence or paragraph apart and put it back together in several different ways. This leaves them with many different ways of writing depending on the need of the piece being written.

Have you seen the sample online?

There is the initial understanding the program and then you would need to prepare probably on a weekly basis so you know what your student is studying that next week. I spend about 30 minutes on Day 1. The rest is on their own unless they need help.

Edited by HiddenJewel