Menu

Hive Mind...when would you call the doc?

I've had bad chest pain for the past few days. It's not heart-related chest pain, but breathing associated chest pain. When I breathe in, it hurts on the left side of my rib cage (near the bottom), but has referred pain around my shoulder blade and neck. I can't yawn, laugh, or sneeze, because the pain restricts any deep breath. If I stand or sit upright, it's better, and if I lie on my back, I can't breathe at all. I also had two weird 'can't breathe' wheezing, coughing episodes in the past week. I have moderate rheumatoid arthritis, so I'm always worried about any inflammatory condition. Could this be a pleurisy kind of thing going on or am I just paranoid?

It sounds like you have pleurisy to me. I've had it twice. I think you should go to the doctor, just in case it either isn't pleurisy or is pleurisy plus something else like pneumonia.

I've had bad chest pain for the past few days. It's not heart-related chest pain, but breathing associated chest pain. When I breathe in, it hurts on the left side of my rib cage (near the bottom), but has referred pain around my shoulder blade and neck. I can't yawn, laugh, or sneeze, because the pain restricts any deep breath. If I stand or sit upright, it's better, and if I lie on my back, I can't breathe at all. I also had two weird 'can't breathe' wheezing, coughing episodes in the past week. I have moderate rheumatoid arthritis, so I'm always worried about any inflammatory condition. Could this be a pleurisy kind of thing going on or am I just paranoid?