Menu

Cake bakers- anyone a fondant expert?

At my old church I did most everyone's wedding cakes, but I never used fondant. A friend of mine from the church is getting married, and her cake lady suggested that fondant needed to be used. She has asked me my opinion, but I'm not a fondant expert. Here are the details:

The cake must be done ahead of time and frozen, then transported 5 hours!

The cake itself is going to be cheesecake.

The fondant is homemade, and is not thawing properly for the cake maker who is experimenting at this point.

I personally feel that fondant is not necessary for the desired look to be achieved, as I have been forwarded a picture of the look they are going for.

So, my questions are, can fondant be frozen and thawed successfully? Would you suggest they go with something else?

Thanks!

~Lisa

Lisa,

Fondant absolutely should NOT be frozen! It just doesn't survive freezing. I can do fondant, but don't very often. For most cakes it's possible to achieve a really smooth "fondant look" with a good buttercream, though it won't have the same gloss finish. I'd worry about the cheesecake, too. In fact, I'd never agree to do cheesecake that I knew had to be transported 5 hours without refrigeration plus the time the cake sits out after it's set up and during the wedding/reception. This may be one of those cases where logistically speaking, the bride needs to be convinced of the common sense in choosing a different cake type.

~Julie~

p.s. What happens to fondant that is frozen is that as it thaws it develops bubbles and wet spots that sag--not pretty :eek:

At my old church I did most everyone's wedding cakes, but I never used fondant. A friend of mine from the church is getting married, and her cake lady suggested that fondant needed to be used. She has asked me my opinion, but I'm not a fondant expert. Here are the details:

The cake must be done ahead of time and frozen, then transported 5 hours!

The cake itself is going to be cheesecake.

The fondant is homemade, and is not thawing properly for the cake maker who is experimenting at this point.

I personally feel that fondant is not necessary for the desired look to be achieved, as I have been forwarded a picture of the look they are going for.

So, my questions are, can fondant be frozen and thawed successfully? Would you suggest they go with something else?

Thanks!

~Lisa

I do love working w/ fondant, but it isn't meant to be chilled once it's on the cake. If you try even to refrigerate a fondant once it's on a cake, you're likely going to end up w/ a mess. I can't imagine what freezing it would do to it! (Though Julie's description is good enough for me! LOL!) Anything you try to put on it (royal icing, buttercream, etc. for flowers or trim or decoration in general) is likely to bleed, slip, separate, and generally give you a lovely Nightmare on Elm Street effect from all the streaking.

Plus the wisdom of transporting a cheesecake that far... without refrigeration... no. No, she needs to look at something else. If it were me, I wouldn't even attempt it. She really needs to find someone locally to make the cake, or find another way to put the travel plans together (like a different cake!) We did a wedding back in October and drove the nine hours TO the wedding place ahead of time, spent three days putting the cake together. It was a little rushed for my taste, but better than trying to travel several hours w/ a cake in the back, silently cursing every pothole and bad driver on the road. ("Buddy, I have an air bag and good brakes, but if you mess up this cake..." :eek:)

It's difficult enough transporting a cake across town!

This cake will have to travel through some mountainous areas and THEN through Knoxville, which is bad enough on a clear day without a cake, and then a good distance of rural, curvy roads.

I did my best to discourage her from this cake. We'll see. :eek:

Thanks for your input.

~Lisa