Menu

BJU Phonics/English and AAS - any conflict??

diaperjoys

Would there be disagreement in the rules & methods of these two texts? Would it be redundant to do both? My son will be about 1/3 of the way through BJU Phonics/English 1 in the fall, which is when I was going to add in spelling and history. I'm very torn as to which spelling program would be best. I'm not sure how he'll take to spelling, but his reading level is far, far beyond anything I've instructed him.

I am currently using bju 1 for reading, grammar, spelling, and math but would like to change to AAS next year. It looked like it has the same rules. We would just call some of the rules the way bju calls them: Miss Long, Miss Silent, etc.

Tammi

The only conflict is between sight words and phonics. All phonics programs complement one another, I've taught with about 20 different programs, combining them in different ways, and have never had a problem.

I found with my daughter that adding in phonetic spelling accelerated the pace at which she learned the phonics.

However, teaching sight words and phonics at the same time slows down the rate at which phonics is learned, and for some students, causes reading difficulties.

Here's how to teach any sight words in the program phonetically and more about why you should teach them this way:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html