Menu

Freeze warning and fruit trees

The next two nights are going to be 28 and 25ish. My peach tree's flowers are spent, so I think it may be okay. My pears are in the middle of blossoming, and the apples aren't quite open.

Is there anything I can do to protect them or am I just going to have to suck it up and take it?

When I read your post I was imagining the beautiful flowering fruit trees. The smell of the blossoms. The warm sun. Then I snapped back to reality and hoped my son would be shoveling some of the snow off of our yard onto the street to melt! lol!

Enjoy your spring. Ours is coming, I'm sure, just not quite yet.

...but I seem to remember reading about fruit growers here in north Alabama (and in Florida) heavily watering their blooms just before the temp falls to that critical point (think being up late at night with the garden hose!). IIRC, the idea was to enclose the tender blooms in ice. I don't understand how that would be better than a freeze, though..... maybe try searching and see if you get more info on that?

I wish you luck. All we have to worry about is the tomato and cucumber plants we bought, but they're still in their pots, so they'll be sleeping in the garage the next two nights. It's a shame you can't do that with your trees!