Menu

Math manipulative incredibly hard to manipulate

I have a set of interlocking unit cubes, and they are really really hard to snap together. Is there something I can do to make is easier, without ruining the "snapiness"? Seriously, it's hard for me as an adult to put them together and take them apart.. and we've had them for years, they aren't getting any easier to use over time.

Am I missing something?

I have a set of interlocking unit cubes, and they are really really hard to snap together. Is there something I can do to make is easier, without ruining the "snapiness"? Seriously, it's hard for me as an adult to put them together and take them apart.. and we've had them for years, they aren't getting any easier to use over time.

Am I missing something?

I chucked out my Omnilinks. Same problem. The Unifixes are fine for counting and slide on pretty easily. The Multilinks or -fixes are tough for a 6 year old but he can do it.

I moved to unit cubes, which are wooden and small, but don't snap together. They come with "ten bars", "hundred flats" and a thousand cube.

I'd get unifixes and forget about the sticky ones.

hmm.. I'd have to think about either of those options (contacting the manufacturer or buying replacements). It's a bit of a pain to try and do that from overseas. I was hoping there was something I could try, like sandpaper? WD40?

Of course I need them now, but maybe I could make do and invest in some different ones over the summer, assuming we would need them sometime in the future again..

Am I missing something?

Ours are the same way! I'm using them with our 9th child and I will be glad to be done with them. Ours have a strong plastic smell that I dislike, too. One small help is to reconnect the cubes by pressing the "stick" down onto the loose cube/s with the loose cube/s on a folded kitchen washcloth, towel, or potholder. I think that my arthritic hands add to my dislike of the cubes. Breaking them apart is no problem. My dc love to fashion them into animal shapes, but I prefer that they be ready as sticks of ten when math time rolls around. To say something nice, the set of 100 does fit tidily into a Spacemaker pencil box. It is too late for us to reinvest in a nicer wood set or I would :glare: