Menu

Dr. Callahan dvds to go with Jacobs Elementary Algebra I

I'd like some feedback on these from anyone who has used them. We have been using MUS for the past four years and are making a switch for Algebra. My son and I are both used to having a video teacher to help things along. Previous users, what do you think of them?

Thanks,

April in WA

I bought Dr. Callahan's DVD's to go with Jacob's Geometry, which I used only very temporarily last year when my oldest was doing Geometry in 10th grade. At that time we were using Chalkdust Geometry and she was having difficulty with one of the chapters. So, I ordered Jacob's, thinking that switching programs would help her.

I only watched a couple of the lessons with Dr. Callahan, so my observations are based on that very brief perusal. Honestly, I thought that Dana Moseley of Chalkdust did a much better job of explaining the math concepts than did Dr. Callahan. The presentation wasn't as clear, nor did it hold my interest as much as Dana Moseley, so I switched back to Chalkdust with Dana Moseley.

Now, I've heard that a student can use the Chalkdust DVD's with other math programs; I think then it would be a question of trying to line up the lessons properly between a book like Jacob's and the Chalkdust DVD's.

After viewing a free sample DVD, I didn't like that Dr. Callahan often stands in front of the white board obscuring what he's supposed to be teaching. We decided against it. You can call them and request a sample DVD.

Edited by langfam

Thanks to all who have responded.

Today I watched the demo video on their website for Geometry. I can see how he stands in front of the chalkboard some.

I have also watched the demo for Algebra I. Somewhere I read it is his daughter that teaches for this course. I didn't notice her standing in the way on the demo. Are there any users of the Algebra I course that can give me opinions?

Thanks again,

April in WA

We are using the DVDs with son #3 right now. At first I was hesitant because the girl looks and sounds so young, but decided that's just my 40-something perspective. My 14 yob doesn't find her too youngish LOL. The lessons are often very short (under 5 minutes) which works well for my son. He usually has no problems going right to the lesson after watching the DVD, but there have been times when he said the lesson didn't explain the concept well and I go back over it with him.

Son #2 is using the geometry DVDs. I think his lessons are longer. Honestly, I have never sat down to watch his lessons, but son #2 doesn't complain and does very well...so I guess it's working :D

We used them briefly last year, my daughter's complaint was that the teacher speaks too rapidly most of the time and just doesn't seem very confident as she explains things. I think we were too accustom to Steve Demme's style and MUS. Anyway, we went back to MUS and are very satisfied

with my 13 year old. He has done great in both, but he watches the DVD one day a week and then works on the assignments and then I meet with him 3 days a week and go over his work etc. I don't know if they are good or bad, but I like having another face associated with his math on my busiest teaching days. I like the syllabus from Dr. Callahan. You can download that for free I think. I like the Jacobs books myself.

....and after ramdomly picking 3 lectures, I sent them back.

The girl kept flipping her hair which drove my daughter nuts. Then she explained a problem incorrectly. I checked myself by checking the answer in the book. And, yes, she totally did the problem wrong.

Blessings,

Stephanie