Menu

Picturing America

Did anyone else receive one of these packages? Honestly, I don't even remember signing up for it! I got an email a while back saying we'd been awarded a set...kind of thought, "ok."

Package arrived today--beautiful, beautiful laminated prints. Wonderful teaching resource included. I'm just stunned that they awarded these to homeschoolers!

Well, technically, it is only for homeschool consortia. It says somewhere in the site that homeschool families are not considered eligible so be careful when you have to send the required progress report back to NEH.

I ordered mine for my daughters school (private school up to 8th grade) last year and the director of the school lets me share the materials. :w00t:

It is a really beautiful set of prints. :)

I do plan to offer some sort of class using them through our homeschool group, but I think the email from HSLDA clarifies that homeschoolers are exempt from the rules for schools.

Exerpt from the email:

Response to Homeschools from NEH

The NEH understands that the rules of the Picturing America award are going to be a little more flexible when dealing with home schools. If you have every intention of sharing the posters with a small co-op, we believe this more than fulfills the requirements of the grant. (Some home schools have indicated that they plan to “gift” the materials to a local library when they have finished using them.)

“Please do not be concerned if the posters will not be displayed publically; most other home schools are in the same situation, and we are advising them to keep the award as well. It was the decision of the NEH to include a large number of home schools for this final round of Picturing America, and we are aware that we should have adjusted the requirements for home schools. Most importantly, please note that the NEH has waived the submission of a final report for home schools.

We wish you much success with this innovative teaching tool.

(If, after reading the above, you still decide to decline the award, please let me know because we are keeping a waiting list of schools and libraries which missed the deadline, but still want to receive the award. Please decide what is best for your home school and the co-op.)

Sincerely,

Judy Regelman

Office of We the People

National Endowment for the Humanities

Sandy,

Thank you very much. I do not belong to a co-op but want to use these for my younger girls. The pictures will be past on when we are all finished...might be quite a while. ;) I do know alot of homeschoolers that would love to use these.

Thanks again for the clarification.

edited to say: I wouldn't mind telling them what/how we did with these. It is going to be a great experience! My little ones were so excited to see the 1st one...baskets.:lol:

Edited by 5knights3maidens