Menu

How do you fry chicken fingers- don't laugh, speak slowly

I've never fried chicken. As a matter of fact the only thing I've ever fried was eggplant- and I even needed help from the board then too.

This time I'm making quinoa crusted chicken fingers and it just says "fry in oil." That's it. :blink: Um, I'm not a good cook. I need more details than that.

This chicken is going to be spiced, dredged in flour, egg, and then quinoa. I know what it will look like (if I do it right) but what kind of pot? What type of oil? How deep? I don't have a fryer.

How would handle this?

Thanks.

Jo

Pretty much the same way is as eggplant. My husband makes "the best chicken tenders, EVER!" according to the children. He fries them in a big, deep frying pan, in about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil (maybe a little less, 3/8?), over medium heat. When they're golden on the bottom, he flips them.

Just let the oil heat until you can drop a little of the dry material in and it starts bubbling, otherwise, it will soak up the oil when you put the pieces in. And salt them as soon as they come out, so they're seasoned but don't get that overwhelming salt flavor like if you wait until they cool.

You'll do fine. It's actually difficult to mess up tenders because they cook pretty quick. Whole-piece fried chicken is an art, though. ;)

And please share that recipe! I have some quinoa coming in my food order this month and am trying to think of different ways to use it... the chicken fingers sound intriguing!

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

You're probably already done by now, but I made some oven fried chicken tonight, if you wanted an alternative to the oil. (Which I also do, not saying one is better than the other...)

I heat my oven to 400 (it needs to be warmer to "fry" the chicken) and then I put about 1-2 Tbs. butter in my pan (depending on pan size). I stick the butter in the pan in the oven for a few minutes while the oven is heating and take it out. Just enough to start melting the butter - then I spread it around in the pan, so I have a thin layer of butter. Then I take my chicken (as prepared per the recipe) and just bake it - probably about 20-30 min. if you have tenders. I'd probably flip them over half way through. The method has been a hit in my family for years. :)

You're probably already done by now, but I made some oven fried chicken tonight, if you wanted an alternative to the oil. (Which I also do, not saying one is better than the other...)

I heat my oven to 400 (it needs to be warmer to "fry" the chicken) and then I put about 1-2 Tbs. butter in my pan (depending on pan size). I stick the butter in the pan in the oven for a few minutes while the oven is heating and take it out. Just enough to start melting the butter - then I spread it around in the pan, so I have a thin layer of butter. Then I take my chicken (as prepared per the recipe) and just bake it - probably about 20-30 min. if you have tenders. I'd probably flip them over half way through. The method has been a hit in my family for years. :)

No, this is good too. This is for a party on Saturday. I would much rather bake- hence my complete lack of knowledge about frying. I think I'm going to make the recipe as suggested for guests, but I'll keep your version in mind for the test kitchen audience, otherwise known as "my family"

Go to her cooking section. She has step-by-step instructions in a recent post for Chicken Scallopine, and ignore everything but the chicken part. :) I just made it last night. I usually buy my chicken nuggets precooked in a bag, but last night I used her very simple recipe. Actually, I modified it a little bit. We were technically having leftovers, which included buttered spaghetti, so I thought I'd try frying some pre-cooked grilled chicken strips (talk about cheating!) I mixed Lawry's seasoned salt with flour, and dipped the chicken in a bowl of milk to get them wet so the flour would stick. Then the flour, then the pan. My kids wouldn't eat any of the other leftovers, because I taught them how to make their own easy chicken nuggets. Thank you, pioneer woman! :p