Menu

Help! I want a more independent math program than Rightstart.

sands31210

Hi! I am looking for some advice on Singapore math. I have been using Rightstart. We are currently finishing up level D. I love the program, but it is so teacher intensive. I have been thinking of changing to Singapore math. My questions are:

How much teacher instruction is there?

Can it be done fairly independently?

Explain the U.S Editions vs. Standard Editions.

Any information is welcome!

Thanks!

Hi!

I've been through Singapore with 2 dc, and yes it can be used fairly independently. My dd, since sometime around level 3-4 looked through the textbook lesson and attempted the problems herself. She comes to me if she doesn't understand something. The instruction is simple and clear. I'm not sure what level your dc would be starting in, but you may want to get familiar with how Singapore approaches word problems or you could find yourself getting lost in 5 an 6. I was my first time through b/c I had pretty much turned math over to ds.

I'm using RS A with my K'er. I'm planning to continue through B, but after that I'll switch to Singapore.

Oh, the differences between the additions. From what I have read in catalog descriptions and on the SM website, the Standards edition contains everything that the US editions contain plus some extra topics like negative numbers and probability in order to conform to California state standards.

HTH!

Mary

You might like Math Mammoth. Its similar to Singapore but has more problems. You can see samples on her website (and download portions). I love the program. There is no teacher guide. Everything is on the worksheet page. I got the entire 3rd grade curriculum through the Winterpromise site.

I do go through the lesson in the texbook with them, but I know many do not. My older two kids aren't the mathiest in the world (though they've been whizzing through 5B!), and I want to make sure they understand the concept as it's being taught before they tackle the workbook. They do the workbook independently.

The lesson lengths are variable. Sometimes I spend upwards of 1/2 hour on it, sometimes it's 5 minutes, or if there's a review, nothing at all.

I also sometimes take a day to go through a practice in the textbook with them on a whiteboard, but only when it's something that I think needs extra reinforcing.

I went all ga-ga over Right Start when I first saw it at a curriculum fair, but then I looked at the volume of stuff - huge books, manipulatives, games - and practically hyperventilated. Singapore has been very open-and-go for me.

Hi! I am looking for some advice on Singapore math. I have been using Rightstart. We are currently finishing up level D. I love the program, but it is so teacher intensive. I have been thinking of changing to Singapore math. My questions are:

How much teacher instruction is there?

Can it be done fairly independently?

Explain the U.S Editions vs. Standard Editions.

Any information is welcome!

Thanks!

If you use the textbooks and go through them with the child then it can be as much of a time commitment as Right Start, IMO. My oldest MUCH prefers doing RS, with the warms ups and all over Singapore. Did you realize that after level E that Geometry is written for the child to do independently? So close and yet so far away...

With Singapore the time commitment is more sporadic. When they introduce a topic you usually have multiple pages in the textbook to work through, then as they just add different aspects you will have a little as half a page.

BTW I do recommend using the textbooks. My oldest was just crusing through appearing to do fine. She finished 4A and was half way through 4B when I went back and checked her work and figure out she totally mis-understood half the book. :001_huh: I have had to spend a lot of time backtracking this Winter, and this time teaching it from the textbook to make sure she understands what is going on.

Heather

Thanks for the info.

I guess I knew in the back of my mind that math is just one of those subjects that needs a good bit of guidance, teach the concept - let the student practice. RS has really been a great program, so why mess with something that is working. RS E, here we come!