Menu

X post from k-8 board: Best middle school math...

If you are NOT a math person (I am not - never took algebra) and can afford it - go Chalkdust! I bought the whole kit and kaboodle pre-algerba program with the color textbook, answer key, DVDs lectures - and it is going well.

I did use Videotext also, for a different child. It is also good - but I myself, having seen both, prefer Chalkdust.

What are you using now? Curriculum is designed to build upon itself. BJU, R&S, etc. have very solid middle school math programs. I wouldn't necessarily jump ship. If the program you are using has served you well, stay the course.

Cindy

I realize they build, but we have been using Teaching Textbooks 7 (with heavy supplementing) and I don't want to continue with it through high school.

Prior to TT we used BJU exclusively. We switched to TT this year for DS because I needed more one on one time with my DD to help with reading. It did free up my time for a while until I realized I had to do some remediating with Ds math. TT was not helping him retain, and there isn't enough actual teaching (IMO). I'm sure it works well for some kids. It doesn't seem to be doing the job here.

I'm not sure I want to go back to BJU, and this seems like an ideal time to decide and then stick with something new - -or I may go back to BJU.

Shannon

I used BJU math with my two oldest children. It is excellent. Their 7th & 8th grade books are excellent preparation for high school.

I found Algebra I too much to teach on my own, but if dvd's are an option for you, I would not hesitate to use BJU clear through high school.

Math Relief is another option for the algebras. Nothing fancy, but solid instruction.

HTH

Cindy

We are using TT Algebra I right now because NEM 1 wasn't getting done at our houe. This particular ds is a strong independent learner and I needed a program that he could take ownership of and which would allow me to be completely hands off and have it still get done consistently. I do plan to consider TT Algebra I and II as only an Algebra I course.

There have been many EXTENSIVE threads on this subject, some of which degenerate into TT faceoffs between supporters and detracters, but the overal impression I've gotten is that Chalkdust is the way to go if you like the TT format (video instruction) but you want a more rigorous and traditional program. Right now I am thinking that I will go ahead and use TT Algebra I, II, and Geometry because it's easy and working for us for now (dh says that a not-so-great curriculum done consistently will inevitably be more effective than a top notch one that sits on the shelf, which is what happened with NEM for us). Ds is currently in 6th grade, so I plan for him to be able to finish these TT books in middle school. Right now I am thinking he will then do Chalkdust starting with Algebra II in 9th.

BJU 7th is a solid review of previous grades. BJU Pre-Algebra has review, but goes quicker and spends more time on preparing for Algebra I.

If your student is struggling, I would stick with 7th. If he's doing ok and you feel he has the mental maturity to tackle more abstract thinking, then go to 8th.

These are only my opinions. I tend to believe students do better with Algebra I when they are a little older. Brain development is better established, imho. I actually prefer Pre-Algebra as freshman and Algebra I as sophmores. But then, I don't have any budding engineers.

HTH

Cindy

NEM is the Singapore Math program for 7-10 grades. Here is the opening paragraph of Rainbow Resource Center's description:

Don’t let the title of this series fool you. “Elementary†refers to “the basics,†as in the basics of higher-level mathematics. New Elementary Math (NEM) 1, 2, and 3 respectively cover introductory, intermediate, and advanced algebra and geometry. NEM 4 introduces advanced mathematics and ends with a major cumulative review.

We used and loved Singapore Primary Math through 6B. I had heard that there was quite a leap from PM to NEM, and there was. I still have the book, and still hope to use it, but for now TT is getting the job done.