Menu

Writing and R&S

GWTW93

Does R&S 4 English offer enough writing or would I need to find a supplemental writing program? My son currently hates with a capital "H" the thought of writing, but I'm hoping to spark his love of writing soon.

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide.

SWB has said that the writing in R&S is enough.

We do R&S and we do most of it orally; it's made so that every lesson has an oral exercise. We've gotten to where we do the worksheet if there is one, to avoid all the writing that comes with doing the book work. If we do the book work, we do a lot of it orally and do diagramming on the dry-erase board. I allow him to do a lot of things on the computer as well.

But, my son has some language processing disorders and is having a hard time keeping up with the writing demands of the program. I did just purchase him a separate program that will help break down the processes for him, and plan to go back through his R&S book and pick up the writing assignments he misses at a later date. Or not, might just skip the writing assignments altogether and do the other curriculum. (We just got this new curriculum and haven't yet begun to use it. So we will see.)

For a kiddo who simply doesn't like the mechanics of writing, I vote let them type it on the computer. If it's the ideas and such that are a problem, R&S does a good job with that. If it's putting language together and basic formulating of a sentence that is a problem, we have found a program that addresses those needs separately.

R&S has a good amount of writing, but it's not so much that a reluctant writer should have a big problem with it. There are 2 or 3 writing assignments per chapter, and as long as I've let ds on the computer to do them, he hasn't given me big issues with doing the work.

HTH

but I don't think they would inspire much love of writing in most kids.

They tend to be dry and the examples aren't that much fun.

I would think of skipping the writing in R&S and doing something else. Something like WWE?

Larissa in NJ