Menu

Latin suggestions for a 9th grader with minimal previous exposure, please?

We *may* be returning (starting?) Latin for my rising 9th grader. She did a year of Prima Latina, around 5th or 6th grade; she also audited a co-op class in 7th. (She learned more by hanging out in the class than she did the formal study, go figure.)

Anyway, we are considering Latin again.

Ideally, I would like the program to be able to be used independently (although I plan to tackle the subject ahead of and/or alongside my kids; our schedules don't always mesh so I want something that doesn't depend on scripted lessons, etc.)

It would be great if enough grammar was covered that additional English grammar wasn't necessary. DVDs or CDs would be nice but not essential.

My younger dd is already using Latin for Children, if that makes any difference to your suggestions.

And I reserve the right to change my mind and order Switched on Schoolhouse and pretend I don't know that Latin exists. I'm just sayin'.

I would high recommend Latin Road to English Grammar by Barbara Beers. It is a high school level program that comes in three volumes. Don't let the "to English Grammar" part put you off. I suppose it could be used by some to learn grammar, but that isn't what we used it for. We learned so much Latin through it! It has lots of good translation work. I've tried other post-elementary programs, and this one is my favorite!

Both programs look great and I'll put them on my list.

I have been looking at The Latin Road to English Grammar (because it seems like it would do a great job of both Latin and grammar) but WOW it looks intimidating. Is it hard to learn/teach/manage? I'm afraid I have a tendency to get started on a program and then hand it over to my dd to do on her own. I'm trying to do better -- but I also need to be realistic. Especially for something so pricey. Did you use the DVD lessons?

I have been looking at The Latin Road to English Grammar (because it seems like it would do a great job of both Latin and grammar) but WOW it looks intimidating. Is it hard to learn/teach/manage? I'm afraid I have a tendency to get started on a program and then hand it over to my dd to do on her own. I'm trying to do better -- but I also need to be realistic. Especially for something so pricey. Did you use the DVD lessons?

I would highly recommend purchasing the DVD's to use if you have no prior Latin experience. My ds15 and I are almost to the end of vol 1 and I couldn't have done it without the DVD. It doesn't teach the lesson, but Mrs Beers gives you an overview of the lesson that I found extremely helpful. I have had my ds sit and watch it with me so that he also understands what will be expected.

I will admit that we both felt as though the program really started to gel for us after the 7th chapter. Don't know why that was. . .maybe it was the Christmas break and letting our brains process the info but after the few weeks off, we started back up with Ch 8 and it seemed a piece of cake!

I have an independent 13 yo, and we could not get LRtEG to work for him--just too many steps--I really think it's set up to work best with more direct involvement from the teacher than either of us wanted. I posted a similar question a week ago, and people suggested Henle Latin (which has curriculum guides that can be used by students who want to study independently) and Cambridge Latin. I'm leaning toward Henle.

In regards to your questions regarding Latin Road to English Grammar, I found it very easy to learn and follow. I've done it right alongside each of my three students. I enjoy giving my students some competition and it is mutually beneficial to compare answers, work through tough translations, etc. The explanations in the student book and in the teacher's manual are very thorough and easy to follow. All of the answers are given in the answer section. I never used the DVD's as the above poster did. My homeschooling sister also used the DVD's and found them very beneficial.

I have known students who have been able to forge ahead and do this program after the moms couldn't do it anymore b/c of time, so that might be the reality for your dd.

Edited by kloumc
to clarify

Christy, we are in the same situation. My rising 9th grade dd learned Prima Latina in 6th grade, most of Latina Christiana I in 7th grade. I'm the slacker in Latin; I am not putting out the effort I should to teach it properly. But it's the one thing I've been insistent on for high school. I bought Henle last year and liked what I saw (also that it could be done independently, haha). After talking with a friend who is our local Classical Conversations director and researching on the boards here, we'll brush up with Getting Started With Latin before we begin Henle. Check out the GSWL website, reviews, and (free!) audio help on the site.