Menu

Question about teaching history

Hi, I am posting this two places as I don't know where it should go. I am new to classical education, not to homeschooling. I have a kindergartner who is was just starting SOTW v.1, but he is really interested in WWII and other wars. I don't want to make him wait til 4th grade to cover these, but I don't want to confuse him either. I could re-start SOTW 1 this fall & just do wars for now..is that a good idea or not?

The way I've handled this is to stick to our SOTW rotation, but help my child explore historical topics from other periods as part of their free reading (or free listening, if they are pre-readers).

Granted, K is sort of a free year in history according to the WTM schedule, but there is no guarantee you won't run into a similar issue in later years.

As long as I forced SOTW down ds's throat he hated history. When I let him study what he was interested in he developed a love of history. So we took a few years off SOTW. He's in 6th grade and we are finishing book 3; I've assigned book 4 as summer reading. After taking time off from history and letting him study his interests I added SOTW back into the schedule and let him study his interests in his own time, sometimes adding some of it into the schedule. It has worked. The only problme we have now is that SOTW doesn't give enough detail for someone his age. The extra reading and activities are just too childish. So we are looking at it as an introduction. It also helps to realize that history is not essential in these younger years. A brief overview is sufficient until they develop higher thinking skills and starting questioning the "whys" of history.

Short answer: Don't worry about it; above all else foster a love of learning.