Menu

REALISTICALLY, how much can I improve my fitness in 55 days?

I used to be very active. An unexpected pregnancy at 42 with 17 weeks of bedrest and then knee surgery when the babe was 2 mos, left me with bad habits of inactivity. I am at least 20 pounds overweight although wii fit calls it just a few but...my body is sooo out of shape. We have a trip of a lifetime coming up in 55 days with a cruise in the caribbean. (just booked it yesterday.) I so much want to enjoy dressing up on the formal nights and even more importantly I want to feel good and be in shape and go hiking on the islands with the kids. I'm now mid 40's. I'm heading back to the ol' eliptical tonight and starting back on South Beach phase 1 tomorrow (which worked really well for me before the surprise pg.) But just so I don't set my expectations too high...what can I expect in 55 days? Will the fatty bottom and the weak legs be back in shape? I know I'm not in my 20's when being fit came pretty easy. But can I at least feel like hiking and enjoy putting on a dressy dress?

Your legs will be a lot stronger in 55 days. You'll have more stamina to do those walks and hikes. You may not fit into the size dress you dream of, but I'll bet you are at least a size smaller than you are right now.

Feeling stronger, healthier, and more fit are admirable goals. Go for it, girl!

Is there anyway you can add weight training to your work out routine? Weight training is the best way to reshape your body. Check out the 12 week before and after photos at Bodyforlife.com. You can ignore their nutrition and supplement advice, but their interval cardio and weight training advice is right on and really works.

along with South Beach phase 1, i would add

-a coffee cup of hot lemon water once a day (half a lemon's juice with 6 to 8 oz hot water) this will work the water off of you pretty quickly.

-psyllium husks or golden flaxseed mixed with 2 ounces of aloe vera juice morning and before bed. aloe vera juice is a miracle in itself, and the psyllium or flaxseed is going to keep you moving in the bathroom...

-1tBsp of decent quality flaxseed oil twice a day

- and if you can handle it, 1 tBsp of raw, organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar morning and evening. i can't even express the benefits of this stuff, it's amazing!

realistically, if you've got the drive to stick with the eating plan and you work out at least 3 days a week, you could easily lose all 20 pounds in 55 days. not to mention, your vitality will increase and you'll feel like a new woman!

just a tip about working out: if you do some strength training before your cardio, your body will burn a higher amount of fat as opposed to burning muscle.

good luck!