Menu

Question for History Odyssey users

Melabella

Right now I'm planning to do HO Ancients Level 2 with my 5th grade dd next fall. Do you read all the books that your child does? Do you use anything to study the history info?

It looks like the bulk of the work is to be completed independently. I'm hoping to balance moving her toward independent work, but still include the read-aloud time and discussion that we love from SL. So, I'm just wondering what sources to use to educate myself on Ancient History. If I studied Ancient History in school, I certainly don't remember it.

I'm using this level with my sixth grader this year and he's able to work very independently. I've been through this information a few times with my older kids but if it was my first time through I would just try to read ahead (or do some of the reading aloud with him). The program is really set up well for the child to be able to work on their own. She encourages a lot of summaries and outlining which you could even do yourself ahead of time if you wanted.

HTH

My DD is working through this independently, so far. I think she will need some coaching when we get to the serious outlining, and I still need to review her work regularly to make sure everything is getting done well. But the material is pretty straight forward, and the resources are all age appropriate.

If you are looking for something to read along with yours, SWB's upper level book is great. I found it to be very informative and engaging. If not, I would recommend that you have your child do some narration (at least in the beginning) to make sure the material is being absorbed!

Good luck! We are both really enjoying HO.

While it certainly can be done independently, my children have really enjoyed our time together doing history. When I first started HO Level 2 Ancients, I assigned it all to be done independently. Pretty soon, I was having major complaints about my kids not liking history anymore. So, in our house we chose to do HO as a group activity.

Also, ancient history is a very glossed over time period in public school curriculum.

Jennie

Do you read all the books that your child does? Do you use anything to study the history info?

I read the books the summer before ds used the program. I took notes and discussed them with him. I do not study anything, but do read through KHE and check over his summaries/outlines.

ETA: I had a hard time getting through Caesar's Gallic War (in fact, never finished it), but ds didn't have trouble. He would never pick up those history books on his own, but did fine with the assigned reading.