Menu

Question on books for a 2 year old

I'm looking through Audible Kids website trying to decide what type of books I should get for my 2 year old to listen too. When can they start listening to longer stories? She goes to sleep listening to music right now, and I'd like to start having an audiobook going instead with the idea that she should be surrounded by language as much as possible. I know kids can listen to stories that are higher level than their 'reading level', and I don't want to buy picture type books on audible for her. I'm not sure what level would be good though. I mean, I figure things like A Wrinkle in Time are to high level, but what about Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, or Wizard of Oz? Should I get more complete stories such as those, or stick to Fairy Tales, Fables, and Mother Goose types stuff? So far in my cart I have Winnie the Pooh, House at Pooh Corner, and Bible Stories for Growing Kids.

my kids have loved listening to Winnie the Pooh too. Plus Bedtime for Frances, and other stories. Mouse Tales.

I have had the same idea but find it is hard to find longer audio books for this age group.

As far as length goes, if you sort by how long they are the book of Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales is the longest at 13 hours, though it is a collection of 30 stories since a child will not sit through 13 hours of book. I'm mostly curious about what type of substance a 2 year old could handle, or if I should just get the chapter type books now and let her listen to them just to hear the words and she'll 'grow into them'.

I'm not sure it matters. My kidlet is about to turn two and pays little attention to audio books and not much more when we read aloud, regardless of the age appropriateness of the material. At the moment I get more of a kick out of reading to my baby and he doesn't understand a word. At least he likes to watch the pages turning...

Rosie

My son loved listening to books on tape at that age. Even longer books if the stories were more dramatic. Until I found one he preferred (or I preferred) I just checked them out at my library. He loved having the book to look at as we drove and listened - even if he didn't stay on the same page.

I think what you have in your basket sounds great! I think that the Mother Goose, nursery rhymes, etc. would also be excellent choices. I think a key thing is the quality - a 2 yr. old probably won't grasp much of what the story is about, but she will benefit from hearing correct grammar, syntax, vocabulary, etc.

Thank you all for your responses. I decided on getting 4 for now. I'm going to get Bible Stories for Growing Kids, Winnie the Pooh Vol. 1, Mouse Tales, and James Herriot's Treasury for Children, Warm and Joyful Animal Tales. You all were a great help in helping me decide:)