Menu

Traditional Logic I vs. Introductory Logic?

Here's a link showing the difference between the two programs: http://www.memoriapress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406

My 7th grader did Art of Argument by Classical Academic Press this year, and I'm following that with the Argument Builder in 8th grade.

My plan is to start Traditional Logic in 9th grade along with Geometry. However, I've been thinking about doing the Intro. & Intermediate Logic by Logos before we do TL I & II by Memoria Press. I keep reminding myself that I don't need to do everything, so I'll probably just stick with TL I & II in 9th grade.

I chose Introductory Logic because it had "white space". It looked less intimidating. And, at first glance it seemed more understandable.

However, what we found was that there wasn't enough practice to master the concepts. So, even though for that lesson, my ds might understand the concept well enough to do well on the exercises, later he (and I!) would have to go back and re-learn it all over again.

We quit about half-way through. (school was interrupted by surgury, and when we got back to it, we had forgotten just about everything!) After reading the sample chapter available at Memoria Press, I *so* wish I had chosen that instead. It reads much more like a teacher explaining, rather than just a list of things to memorize.

fwiw, we did use the DVD's, and they are understandable. It's just the way the info is presented doesn't make it very memorable.

hth

You'll find lots of discussion about this on the high school board, just do a search:)

We did Intro and Intermed last year in 8th grade and are doing Traditional I & II this year for 9th. I wish we'd switched it.

The Nance program is a symbolic logic class. My kids and the kids in our co-op found it difficult to grasp.

The Traditional Logic is a word-based class. Our kids are getting it just fine.

We've used the videos for both- I suggest them, though others don't. I just don't have any training in this and to me, it's worth paying for the expertise.

Next year we'll continue on with Material Logic (MP), then Rhetoric (MP) and then probalby doing the IEW Progrymnasta for 12th grade. (My 12th grader is doing it this year- it is terrific!).

hth.

• 2 weeks later...
You'll find lots of discussion about this on the high school board, just do a search:)

We did Intro and Intermed last year in 8th grade and are doing Traditional I & II this year for 9th. I wish we'd switched it.

The Nance program is a symbolic logic class. My kids and the kids in our co-op found it difficult to grasp.

The Traditional Logic is a word-based class. Our kids are getting it just fine.

Do you think it is possible to do traditional I & II between Intro and Intermediate?? My ds is finishing up Intro but having read many previous posts I'm wondering if I should switch us for next year over to Cothran's books and come back to Nance's afterwards.

I bought Traditional Logic with the DVD set, but ds and I didn't do much of it. Martin Cothran's teaching is a great cure for insomnia. He has to be one of the most boring teachers in the world. For the few lessons we watched, Mr. C didn't seem to add anything to what was already in the text.

Ds used Introductory Logic and is currently using Intermediate Logic, but I didn't buy the DVD sets, because he's taking the online class with The Potter's School. I like IL better, but that may just be because I disliked TL so much due to Mr. Cothran's teaching.

we are using traditional logic. We went with this because it is less religious. Not that I am anti religion, I just didn't want to be teaching logic from a certain church view.

both my son and I are finding traditional logic the most boring book we have ever worked through. we didn't get the DVDs because I couldn't get them for less than $120 au. and just thought we would try the program without them.