Menu

Any hairdressers here? Clipper questions

Andis ACG Super 2- Speed. I use these for my dog (froo froo cocker spaniel who has a little flouffy haircut I have to perfect once a month LOL)...but clippers are clippers, IMO. I LOVE mine and they run like a dream. You can change the blades on them as well and you buy the size you need. Having the ability to change the blade goes a LONG way. Most "cheaper" clippers, you can't do that. I also am not a fan of the little plastic combs that come with the less expensive clippers.

Hairdressers, if I am wrong and there is a difference between the clippers I use and human clippers, please correct me. I can't imagine there would be, though. With the ACG, you are paying mostly for the motor and set. The rest is up to you with blades and such. Here is a link to the Andis Website...they sell both human and animal clippers, it appears. http://www.andis.com/USA/whatsNew/

Edited by Tree House Academy

I'm kind of hesitant to go with another Wahl. Do you have any suggestions? What should I be looking for?

Not all Wahls are equivalent. The cheapo ones at Walmart don't compare at all to the professional models you get from a beauty supply store.

I have a Wahl Pro, and I love it. I am not a pro, but I have cut my dh's hair for almost 20 years (military cut), and ds's hair for 10. I went through several clippers that I got from Walmart/Walgreens/Target. They were all awful! I finally got the higher-end Wahl and I love it! It cuts through ANYTHING! It's super quiet, well balanced, and easy to clean. The blades are replaceable (but I've never needed to replace them in 3 years). I wouldn't throw out all Wahls based solely on your experience with the one you got a Walmart. That's not a fair assessment.

You definitely want something that is easy to brush clean. I had one clipper that had this piece of foam under the blade. The hairs would get stuck in the foam, and were impossible to remove. It would get a clogged up! What a mess! I think it was a Conair.

You also want to get some good clipper oil. You need to use it every single time you use the clippers. It will keep the blades from getting dirty/rusty, stuck,dull. While I'm cleaning up after a haircut, I apply 3 drops to the clippers (while they're running, to assure the oil gets all over the blades). Before I use them the next time, I wipe off any excess oil with a tissue. I asked a barber friend, and he said the oil is the most essential necessity in caring for clippers and trimmers.

They also make a special spray oil that you can spray on the blades before cutting that helps them cut through difficult-to-cut hair. I've seen barbers use it, but I've never used it.

Oh, and I used to have a trimmer. It was also a professional model Wahl (I bought it second-hand from my barber friend), and it did a fine job, but it eventually bit the dust. I liked that it was cordless, but I've never missed it. The Wahl clippers do a nice close job on the neck, sides, etc. I don't need a clipper.

HTH,

Suzanne

The good Wahl ones are great. The cheapos are probably not so good. I cut my ds's thick, course hair with it and it works. I am no pro, though. I cut hair for economic reasons only. If I do 2 cuts in a row I need to decompress. Plus, the last time I checked, Wahl still makes their clippers in the US rather than China, although it looks like some of their extras are now from China.