Menu

For those who have used Heart of Dakota..

shanvan

has anyone really liked the lessons, but become frustrated at being "locked into" following someone else's plan for your day?

Hope I'm making my question clear. I am looking at Preparing Hearts and love what I see, but I'm afraid I would grow weary of having everything decided for me. I sometimes get ideas and we take off on a tangent of studying those ideas or doing projects I have designed.

I suppose what I'm asking is did you feel it was too inflexible? Anyone have that sort of experience when using Heart of Dakota?

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

Well, it is no more flexible/inflexible that any other plan: TOG, WP, SL or MFW. And like every other curriculum, you can pick and choose what you would/would not like to do. The only thing more flexible is to create your own curriculum and I did this one year. There is nothing more tiring that deciding everything for yourself and hoping you made the right decision <sigh>.

I'm not sure what you've done in the past. All I can tell you is that I love HOD and I've been happy all year and plan on doing Preparing next year.

Holly

I haven't used a curriculum yet that I haven't tweaked to some degree or other. I haven't felt burdened by Carries schedule. :D

:iagree: I'm constantly tweaking things. HOD is the one that I have followed more closely than others. However, I have sped up at some points and slowed down at others. We happily took this week off and will head back on Monday. I have several extra books I plan on reading these next few weeks and they will fit in nicely. Preparing has a full day off in the week schedule perhaps if you feel like filling it with a self choosen activity or book you could.

I bought Beyond Little Hearts for this year. I had fallen in love with it and thought it would be perfect. A few weeks into it, I had sticky notes all over the place. It didn't work for us at all. I still think it is a really cool concept, but I realized that I can't use a curriculum that ties so much together.

To be specific, dd forged way ahead in math and spelling, and knew all of the grammar lessons. She was already familiar with the science concepts and could predict the outcomes of experiments. The copywork was too frustrating for her and she wanted to learn cursive and practice that instead. She loved the history reading, but wanted to listen to a week's worth at a time. I see the value of CM's style of reading a small amount each day, but it didn't really allow dd to connect with the stories. By reading so much history at once, the Bible lessons were thrown off. She basically outgrew the curriculum after 3 months.

The crazy thing is that I still considered the next program for next fall! :lol: I guess I really like he concept of the program and feel frustrated when I read how many people found it perfect and had children who thrived with Beyond. I feel like I must have done it wrong, but doing it as planned seemed to be holding dd back. :tongue_smilie: I do know that a lot of people love it, and it is obvious that Carrie put a lot of love into the program.

I just had my husband look at samples of several different options I was considering.

He took one look at HOD and told me I would be frustrated with it. He really knows how I like to teach. I had a feeling I would end up like you, Julianna -- that whole sticky note business--and DH just confirmed my feelings. Husbands are such a blessing!

Truly, HOD programs are beautifully designed, but not a good fit for us. I like to do my own thing a little too much to take full advantage of it. I wonder if I will ever reach that golden moment where I just don't even look at other options? Just pondering!

Shannon

Shannon, do you have any other thoughts of what you'll go with for next year?

It is nice that your dh knows you well enough to help you predict whether or not you'll like a curriculum. Sometimes two minds are better than one. ;) My dh thinks dd would like SOTW and the AG. I haven't ordered yet though...