Menu

Junior National Young Leaders Conference?

Are any of you familiar with an program called the Junior National Young Leaders Conference? My friend's seventh grade dd has just received a letter claiming that she has been selected because of her excellent grades and leadership potential. She attends a public school in MA and is indeed an excellent student, but we're a little suspicious about this program. I googled a bit and even found a site where people compared it to the "Who's Who" books. Any wisdom here?

We've gotten several of these types of letters for M and L, and neither of them have ever been in school. The school board released their info and test scores. (That's a rant for another time.) A few have been really suspicious looking, but others I know are legit because nieces and nephews have followed through with programs. Some of them are little more than group trips; others have more to offer in the way of instruction and service opportunities.

That's why I'm asking. Because the form letter says that one her her teachers nominated her, but honestly this is the flakiest teacher in the school. My friend is thinking that if this program is indeed prestigious, it would be a nice thing to mention to colleges in a few years. But she doesn't want to spend nearly $2,000 on glorified summer camp either. So, if they're telling the truth, it could be good. If, however, they are offering a "pay for an honor" scam, she'd definitely pass on the deal.