Menu

Suzuki Violin

Targhee

DD (6.5) has been asking to take violin lessons for about a year now. I wanted school to become enough of a routine and her to have those related habits down before she started. That, and I was fearful she wouldn't want to practice - just "fiddle" around (:D). I think she's ready though. I played violin, starting in 4th grade with the school orchestra program - I don't know that program but I know it wasn't suzuki. I did well enough, but I'd already been playing piano, read music, and I have a little bit of natural talent in that area. DD doesn't have any of those advantages, so I think I'd really like for her to be taught with the Suzuki method. Now to my questions:

1. How do you find a Suzuki instructor?

2. How do you keep your child on task while practicing (DD gets off task easily, from doing homework to going to the bathroom... :001_huh:)?

3. What is a reasonable price range to pay for instruction and instrument rental? (I have NO clue, just want to know if we can budget it)

TIA!

I found violin "classes" for my DD at a local center for the arts. The same place also rents violins extremely inexpensively. I found DD first violin teacher in the yellow pages. I'm also thinking that if you have a university or community college in your area they could probably point you in the right direction. As far as instruments go, prices might be all over the place. We have a local music shop and instrument rentals were absolutely outrageous! the amount we would pay for 2 months would have equaled buying a new student violin from Shar music (they're online...google them). I believe their violins are reasonable and I think you can have them ship you a violin to try out--not sure on that one. hopefully you could find a teacher in your area who could suggest what to buy. I wouldn't suggest ebay though the price is quite tempting, but you truly don't know what you are getting when you go that route. Our first violin was an eighth size and it was really inexpensive off of Ebay, but it didn't hold a tune and the bridge had to be set up. Usually this can cost quite a bit of money, but a man at our church was willing to do it for us for no charge. My advice is to ask around and look in the yellow pages in your area to see if their is a local music center--they could give you a starting point for lessons.

[quote name=

2. How do you keep your child on task while practicing (DD gets off task easily, from doing homework to going to the bathroom... :001_huh:)?

3. What is a reasonable price range to pay for instruction and instrument rental? (I have NO clue, just want to know if we can budget it)

TIA!

Well, we aren't doing Suzuki, but I'll answer the other questions. My 1st grade daughter who has taken violin this year. I asked my homeschool group and they gave me some great suggestions for teachers. I pay 15 dollars for a half hour lesson and he is very flexible if we are out of town or such. He is GREAT!!! I paid 200 dollars for 1/8 violin in August from a man who refurbishes them down the street. We just traded in that one for a 1/4 as she went through a growing spurt. That is what he does. I will just give him my old one and pay about 100 bucks for a new one until she gets to a full size one.

As far as practicing: We do two or three 10 minute sessions a day. That is the limit of her attention span/ muscles, etc. At first it may have been 5 minute sessions, but she is getting better. On good days we can practice for 15 minutes. She has learned a lot and can play quite a bit. It is amazing to me.

Christine