Menu

Need math advice --continue with RightStart, skip to new program, other?

Allearia

DS7 is about 2/3 of the way through RightStart C (we did A and B last year) and right now everything else in the book is stuff he knows. He hasn't quite memorized the mulitplication tables but I think it would just take 2-3 weeks. So I was looking at the RightStart website doing the placement quiz to see if he might be ready for level D. It placed him in E. He understands

I don't really know if it is a good idea to skip a whole level. I am all for lots of practice, but I can't afford to put this much money into a program that won't last long. I'm wondering if I should just bail and go to Singapore. The thing is, we both love RightStart, I like teaching it, and I love the way he can think mathematically and do the multidigit problems in his head, and he also likes the geometry. So maybe we could try E. On the other hand, maybe he would be able to do it anyway? His main strength has always been in language but he is enjoying the math and progressing fast.

Any ideas?

Since you both like RS, I would stick with it and just try to compress some of the lessons and zoom through it. I'm in a similar situation with my dd who just turned 8 and is halfway through C. She is needing more challenging work so I got her a Singapore workbook and she's been doing that on the side. I don't want to abandon RS altogether, but dd really needs to be in a higher level. I'm trying to skip what I can and compress two lessons into one when I can. It's all very easy for her.

Good luck!

I'm in kind of the same position and am compacting RS enormously instead of skipping. I eliminated 30 lessons right off, and I'm tossing out all the warm ups, games, and practice sheets and will hit it at a rate of 3 lessons a day as soon as we finish our challenge math that we're doing now.

We have changed from MUS alone to combining MUS and RS. DS7 already knows most of C, but there was some stuff in there he didn't know. So, we are going through it compacting the lessons as has been described. We'll only take 2 months to do RS C (4 days a week, LoF fractions we are doing instead on Fridays) before we go into RS D. I've looked at that and think we'll compact that considerably too, but I want to cover it all. No matter how strong he is at maths (this kid is mathy) I want to give him so many different strategies that he can solve them easily when alpha beta gamma replace 1 2 3.

I notice you have one coming up behind. Could you justify it like I do ... he might only use it for x months, but then child 2 (and 3 and 4) will use it too?