Menu

Favorite US History read alouds for Ker?

Aloha2U

We'll be focusing mainly on beginning and US geography, using Legends and Leagues, E-M's Beginning Geography 1-3, State Cap. & Geography songs, Geography from A to Z, Beginner World Atlas, The Little Man in the Map, Great States Jr game, The Scrambled States of America Puzzle and Book set, Study a State, and a few other puzzles I picked up for our K5 year.

I would like to add US History read alouds to the mix. I've come across a few mentioned on the forum, listed below...

A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood

The American Story, by Jennifer Armstrong

The Children's Book of America, by William J. Bennett

The American Patriot's Almanac, by William J. Bennet (not age appropriate for a Ker of course, but interesting for me to read)

but what do you recommend for a Ker?

Would VP's history cards (Explorers to Present) be an option? I do want to keep it to simple read alouds, so perhaps just using the book lists from MFW Adv. and WP AS 1 would work. Any suggestions?

Edited by NCAmusings

Hi Melissa! Doesn't WP AS just look amazing?!? OhElizabeth mentioned that I take a look at that and the books just look beautiful!

I don't know if you have all your activities planned, but I just wanted to give you a heads up on a book I just purchased - Little Hands Celebrate America. It's all crafts/hands-on, but it is only $3.95 right now at CBD! I bought it just b/c I couldn't resist the price - it's awesome! I can't wait to use it down the road.

Just wanted to give you a heads up if you're CBD shopping or in the market for that kind of thing. :)

Edited by Guest

Guest Alte Veste Academy

If your focus is mainly on geography and you only want a storytelling type intro of American history and stories, I would choose two from your list.

Both have lovely stories appropriate for K ears. In addition, I heartily recommend this one.

From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Shining-Treasury-American-Folklore/dp/0590428683/ref=ed_oe_o

We're still in our studies for American History (have finished Am Rev), and we have a 3rd grader and a K'er, so our read-alouds have been aimed at the third grader. My K'er enjoyed them too, but if she was my oldest I wouldn't have been reading Amos Fortune and Johnny Tremain among others. But I wanted to mention a few picture books worth fitting in:

The Ox-cart Man

Paul Revere's Ride illustrated by Ted Rand

Sarah Morton's Day and the one like it with a boy at Plymouth Plantation

We love Tomie DePaola here and his Early American Christmas fits in well

The If you were there books...Colonial Times, Am Rev, Traveled West in a Covered Wagon, Slavery, etc.

I'm sure I'll think of others after I submit this, but that's a start.

We read Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness not that long ago. It was very good! I also want to get Wee Sing America. We had it growing up and now I want it on cd!:)

Now I'm off to look up the things you're using!:)

Oh, Wee Sing America... I'll check that out along with the book you recommended.

Hi Melissa! Doesn't WP AS just look amazing?!? OhElizabeth mentioned that I take a look at that and the books just look beautiful!

I don't know if you have all your activities planned, but I just wanted to give you a heads up on a book I just purchased - Little Hands Celebrate America. It's all crafts/hands-on, but it is only $3.95 right now at CBD! I bought it just b/c I couldn't resist the price - it's awesome! I can't wait to use it down the road.

Just wanted to give you a heads up if you're CBD shopping or in the market for that kind of thing. :)

Yes, indeed! Then again, I think many books look beautiful, that is what makes this so hard! Thanks, Monica... I'll check out that book on CBD too!

If your focus is mainly on geography and you only want a storytelling type intro of American history and stories, I would choose two from your list.

Both have lovely stories appropriate for K ears. In addition, I heartily recommend this one.

From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Shining-Treasury-American-Folklore/dp/0590428683/ref=ed_oe_o

I'm glad to know those are 2 good picks for a Ker, especially since they are available at our local library. I'll check for the other one you recommended.

We're still in our studies for American History (have finished Am Rev), and we have a 3rd grader and a K'er, so our read-alouds have been aimed at the third grader. My K'er enjoyed them too, but if she was my oldest I wouldn't have been reading Amos Fortune and Johnny Tremain among others. But I wanted to mention a few picture books worth fitting in:

The Ox-cart Man

Paul Revere's Ride illustrated by Ted Rand

Sarah Morton's Day and the one like it with a boy at Plymouth Plantation

We love Tomie DePaola here and his Early American Christmas fits in well

The If you were there books...Colonial Times, Am Rev, Traveled West in a Covered Wagon, Slavery, etc.

I'm sure I'll think of others after I submit this, but that's a start.

This is great! Thank you for all of the ideas!