Menu

WinterPromise Users...question...

Bumping up for you.

I don't have an answer as we didn't do Fast Track. I suspect Karen Brooks would say it's pretty important. Their cards have all the sounds a letter can make on the back, in a given order (most common to least, I think).

We went from the middle of Pathway Readers first grade (finished Days Go By and workbook) to LA1 without the cards.

Are the Phonics cards imperative for the Fast-track program? My ds5 is reading pretty well - small paragraphs, sounding out most words but with about 200-250 sight words. Just not sure if I need the cards or not - I don't want to skip them if they are important to the teaching of the phonics in the way WP does it. Advice?

I am not using the WP program, but I have used 2 similar vertical phonics programs (SWR and AAS). In any vertical phonics program the goal is to memorize the phonograms and then review them as needed. Even my oldest still reviews her cards at least once a month. My 9, 7 and 6yo cover them weekly, and any thy miss daily. Though we are using them for spelling and not just for reading.

My guess is that you do need the cards. Most people haven't taught all the sounds, so it is good to be through.

Heather