Menu

Could ALL American History by Bright Ideas Press 1 and 2 be done in one year?

Quiver0f10

Probably, but what's the hurry? It's fun! lol

ETA: Oh, I see--you are asking about the curriculum, ALL AMERICAN HISTORY, right? I was thinking you were just asking if the totality of American History could be covered in a year.

Edited by Chris in VA
oops

Probably, but what's the hurry? It's fun! lol

ETA: Oh, I see--you are asking about the curriculum, ALL AMERICAN HISTORY, right? I was thinking you were just asking if the totality of American History could be covered in a year.

LOLI edited to add info :D

I think you could cover it. I only own Volume I, but from my understanding Volume 2 is set up the same. There are 32 lessons in Volume I. Each lesson is designed to take one week, but the actually textbook reading should only take one day. The rest of the week is working student activity pages (which is mapping/notebooking) further study questions, review games, and additional reading. You could double up this way:

Monday: Read lesson

Tuesday: Complete student activity page

Wednesday: Read next lesson

Thursday: Complete student activity page

Friday: Supplementary reading, further study questions, or review games/activities.

This way you should complete two volumes in one year. I think the teacher guide is a valuable resource with this program! It gives an extensive book list for each grade range (K-12) for supplementary reading. I plan on hitting the library for this titles. Most seem to be easy to find titles. The teacher's guide also gives ideas for review games (it gives you the materials for the game), project ideas for older students, timeline work, answers to the "for further study" questions, and family activity ideas. You can do as much or as little as you want.

I haven't used this yet, I will be using it next year, but I have purchased it and have spent a lot of time pouring over it and planning. I hope this helps!

Bright Ideas Press has sample pages you can view.

I think you would be pushing it for the younger children. I bought AAH Vol 1, and just read through the first seven lessons of Unit 1 a few nights ago. It all about the explorers. With so many names and countries being brought up, by the end of the lessons, I was dazed. Of course, I wasn't doing all of the extra's for help with retaining, just reading the book before we started it.

That's with us having just studied several of these same explorers earlier this year while talking World History and Age of Exploration, so these names weren't "new" to me.

The reading is slightly "dry" but I think my 6th DS could handle it...but I am breaking each lesson (on average about 10 pages, smaller print) into two days of reading, and using the rest of the week into all of the hands-activities.

I guess it could be done, but it seems to me there would be very little benefit for the younger children.

Its true that it might be complicated for your younger ones to keep up with the textbook reading. You could just read/have them read from the corresponding book list in the teacher's guide. Some examples from Unit Two are: The Cabin Faced West, The Courage of Sarah Noble, If You There...series, Sarah Morton's Day and Samuel Eaton's Day, On the Mayflower... When you get to the American Revolution I highly recommend The Liberty Kids DVDs if your library carries them. My girls learned a lot from watching those!:)