Menu

Does anyone use R&S for writing instruction alongside a different grammar program?

Another Lynn

We're finishing FLL3 and going on to FLL4, but I don't want to pull my own excerpts together to do WWE. I was thinking that if R&S is supposed to be enough writing instruction at this level maybe I could get it only for writing while we continue using FLL for grammar. Anyone else doing this and happy with it?

A similar question was asked here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86879

but didn't get many responses, so I thought I would ask it again :)

Well, here's my two cents, for what it's worth.

R&S gives very thorough writing instruction. The only "problem" with it is that it isn't practiced enough in the text itself. You have to take what you learn in R7S and apply it to other subject areas, like science or history or whatever. There is not a whole lot of creative writing instruction. Most of it is practical writing.

FWIW, I am teaching a brood of boys who have pencil allergies. I find that the writing in R&S is enough for them, but they are not into creative writing at all and I don't foresee a future hobby/occupation in it whatsoever.

HTH a little bit!

Thanks Karen! THat is helpful - my oldest two are boys. What fun to have a house full of them! I'm thinking that the curriculum I'm considering would have opportunities for notebook pages and written narrations and brief science lab write ups - which is not practicing R&S assignments exactly, but might help fill out writing experience.

Thanks again!

I found last year that the Wordsmith series teaches the same things as R&S, and received a very good review from SWB here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/wordsmith.html

fwiw, I kept doing R&S (for both grammar and writing) because my ds liked having just *one* book. (Two books = more work to him?) Both R&S and Wordsmith are really good, but for your purposes, it might be nice to have Wordsmith's pre-planned schedule.

Best wishes!

Thanks Lynn for starting antoher thread. Maybe I can get some more responses on your thread.

This is my previous post Lynn mentioned earlier:

I am currently using CLE's LA's program and really like its student-led approach and want to continue with it. I am seriously thinking about using R&S next year for all three of my children's writing program. Does anyone see a problem with this?

I'd also like help with determining what levels to use. My middle child has previously done a year of IEW but is still rusty on basics like topic and clincher sentences. He will be entering 6th grade. Should I go with the 6th grade text or start baack at 5th? If I start back at 5th, I'm sure there would be some lessons I would feel confident skipping. Should I try to complete the 6th grade writing assignments also next year?

My oldest I'm more unsure about. He will be entering 8th grade. Two and three years ago he went through IEW with average success. This year I made the mistake of putting him in a public school class that covered writing. They have not done near enough or been focused on structure and technique enough IMO. Where should he start? SWB says a starting 7th or 8th grader should start back at book 5, but I figure that's for the grammar specifically. What do you think as far as the writing only? What book should we try to complete next year to finish 8th grade?

Thanks for your thoughts,

April in WA

Thanks Lynn for starting antoher thread. Maybe I can get some more responses on your thread.

This is my previous post Lynn mentioned earlier:

I am currently using CLE's LA's program and really like its student-led approach and want to continue with it. I am seriously thinking about using R&S next year for all three of my children's writing program. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Do you mean you would *just* cover writing with R&S? If so, I would look at something else - Wordsmith or Jump-In or Write Shop. (Sorry, I don't know what all CLE's LA program contains.)

I'd also like help with determining what levels to use. My middle child has previously done a year of IEW but is still rusty on basics like topic and clincher sentences. He will be entering 6th grade. Should I go with the 6th grade text or start baack at 5th? If I start back at 5th, I'm sure there would be some lessons I would feel confident skipping. Should I try to complete the 6th grade writing assignments also next year?

Start with 6th grade. The title of the text suggested in WTM is the 6th grade book, and the "5" in the suggestion is a misprint. You can search the corrections page at welltrainedmind.com to double-check. fwiw, my older ds did Abeka grammar in 5th grade, with very little writing other than narrations because we started hs'ing late that year, and WS was not a good fit. He went into R&S 6th in 6th grade, and has done quite well.

My oldest I'm more unsure about. He will be entering 8th grade. Two and three years ago he went through IEW with average success. This year I made the mistake of putting him in a public school class that covered writing. They have not done near enough or been focused on structure and technique enough IMO. Where should he start? SWB says a starting 7th or 8th grader should start back at book 5, but I figure that's for the grammar specifically. What do you think as far as the writing only? What book should we try to complete next year to finish 8th grade?

See comment above. Also, I think the WTM suggestion is for someone coming out of public school (who has probably never had *any* grammar other than maybe Schoolhouse Rock ;)) However, the grammar in the 7th grade book of R&S is very, very difficult. The 8th grade book has been better, but that is because the grammar is mostly a review of the 7th grade book. The writing, however, is very, very difficult. The text assumes that the student has mastered what was taught in 6th and 7th grades.

Honestly, if I were you, I would look at doing Analytical Grammar (recommended as a 9th grade option in WTM), and adding in a separate writing component.

Thanks for your thoughts,

April in WA

Best wishes!