Menu

Difference between Language Lessons for the Very Young and PLL

Angel

Are there any major differences? I thought I had settled on PLL, but I just took a look at Queen's LLftVY and it looks nice too. Also, has anyone used Language Lessons for the Secondary Child? I'm just now finding out about this series and am curious for reviews.

Thanks.

I haven't seen Lang. Lessons for the Very Young but I have PLL. I did try Lang. Lessons for the Elem. Child but I did not like them (I had both volumes). I know that some moms really did like them so it really has so much to do with what you are looking for.

I think... I could be wrong...but Jessica from Trivium Academy did a very nice comparison if you search for it. :001_smile:

I liked PLL because the exercises had depth and meaning to them. I thought that Lang. Lessons for Elem. had very forced sentences for the parts of speech work. For ex., in looking for adjectives the sentences contained words like yellow, little, etc. This was too simplistic to me. I also think that my dd needed to write her work out more-she needed work in organizing and arranging her work. The pictures were very nice for picture study and it was more modern. I also did not like the copywork sections as I thought they took up a lot of the workbook and at her age she could just as easily copy directly from a book. For a very young student though that much copywork would be fine.

HTH

I have both...

I have continued with LLFTVY over PLL for a couple of reasons.

I am a true CMer and I really believe that short lessons are best, BUT the student must give his full attention and his very best work. This workbook really has short lessons, but with this approach it has worked very well for us.

Also, it is a workbook. I really like having a nice book to save that shows what they did for picture study and it is also scattered throughout with drawings my son did to enhance his lessons. It's very sweet and I like it a lot.

PLL is a great book and a good value, it really comes down to what you want. PLL has more memory work than I would like, since my children already do substantial bible memory. PLL was also a bit too much for us because we also do latin and handwriting (A Reason For Handwriting). My seven year old gets all these lessons done in about 30 minutes with little breaks between each book--just right for him at this age.

I tried PLL several times over the years, and there is really nothing wrong with it other than it didn't fit us as well as I would like. Others would tell you the Queen books are far too light. It really depends a lot on your philosophy.

My older boys are doing the elementary books and I love those too. With latin and handwriting I believe it is very complete. I like the seasonal approach to grammar anyway along with bits scattered throughout their dictation lessons. I prefer to beef up instead of strip down lessons if I feel the need to---makes me less obsessive. :001_smile:

Thanks! I will look for Jessica's review. I was tired last night and it didn't even cross my mind to search. So PLL does have grammar work? I have not seen that in their samples and was unsure how it looked.

I do not feel the need to have rigorous in the younger years for English. Dd has done the first part of FLL and it just wasn't for us. We have just done a smattering of English this year. And whatever I buy at convention, I just might start next month. Just don't know yet, but light is fine. Hmm, I didn't think about a lot of memory work.

I also thought my older dd my like the change of pace with the older book. It seemed to have a lot of poetry which she likes.

Thanks for your replies. I'll do a search and investigate some more.

ETA: Will Queen's be available to look at at the convention anywhere?