Menu

How do you find the best/cost effective home/car/liability insurance?

I have to call around today for insurance quotes. We are starting a barn by next week. We will be moving our horses home in a few weeks--hence the need for more liability.

What do I ask? How do you know if they will really pay up if something terrible happens?

This is what we have to insure:

our home--5 bedroom, 2 bath bilevel--need replacement cost on contents and structure and rental coverage if the house burns and we need a place to live

1999 diesel suburban--need full or limited coverage

1995 gas suburban, limited or PLPD

2000 mini van--plpd

1992 cadillac--plpd

1995 Shasta 27 foot travel trailer

1995 stock horse trailer (not sure we need extra on this)

2006 KTM dirt bike--is street legal so need insurance

Then a 40x48 barn with 3 horse stalls and loft

liability--likely a 1 million dollar umbrella policy

Is it better to split off my vehicles from the house/barn/liability or stick with the same company for all of it? Do you go with a local independent agent or a bigger name (State Farm, Farm Bureau, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, etc)?

Give me all of your best ideas here--to save money but make sure we have enough coverage. My dh was a fire fighter and said that several times he ran into families that thought they had enough coverage but found out they didn't.

I would use an independent agent and let them shop around for you. Wait, maybe Farm Bureau - start there! But the best policies like that i've experienced have come from independents. Allstate just applied for and was granted a Florida pull out, they won't be selling anything here now.

Do check the ratings on any companies offered.

I have a 94 diesel suburban that needs an engine - want it? LOL!!

If you weren't so far away from Michigan, my dh would make a road trip for a diesel suburban. He is a mechanic so he can fix things like new engines, etc. We have only seen 2 others in the years we have had ours. We have the 2500 (3/4 ton) and it pulls like a dream.

I have a 94 diesel suburban that needs an engine - want it? LOL!!

Mine is a mechanic too.... and hasn't done anything with it. We used it to move here from CA - 3 trips across.

Come on now - don't you want to drive down and go on vacation to Disney? Visit some horse farms in Ocala? LOL!

I know he could sell it if he put ANY effort into it....