Menu

Sonlight Science 5 ~ User opinions, please? nt

angela&4boys

Haven't used it yet, but had planned to buy it for next year until I learned that Apologia was having a new anatomy text come out for the fall, so I am going the apologia route with my own books added to it instead because it is cheaper and I already have lots of experiment supplies here. I think SL science kits in general are quite good, have lots of interesting information, having the lab supplies right there is very handy and having the schedule drawn out it handy if you don't like to plan. We are using SL science 3 right now, and if 5 is set up the same way I think it would be an excellent anatomy program.

I am using SL science 5 right now with my 10yo, 11yo, 13yo, and 14yo. We are really liking it! We haven't studied the human body before so everyone is learning alot.

I like the worksheets and the experiments are very simple to do (if you choose to do them - we do about half of the time). I think my kids are really learning and are finding it interesting. I'm very glad we decided to use it!

I found that the Bill Nye the Science Guy dvds line up with almost half of the topics for the year. So at the end of each week we watch a Bill Nye dvd that goes right along with what we studied that week. To quote Bill Nye,"Way cool!"

I've been pleased with it, but we're long-term Sonlight users in general. Prior to this we used BJUP, and for more variety, I prefer them, but Core 5 Science has been worthwhile.

Keep in mind though that they're revising their entire science program, so it will be different April 1st. How different, I don't know.

Keep in mind though that they're revising their entire science program, so it will be different April 1st. How different, I don't know.

I think it would be great if SL added the new Apologia Anatomy book to this science Core! ;)

My son is currently coming to the end of SL's Science 5. He has very much enjoyed it. He absolutely LOVED the History of Medicine book. Loved. it. He has also really enjoyed learning anatomy and currently is absorbing and teaching us about survival skills...he now seems to think he is a survival pro...apparently the next "Survivor Man." :lol:

I personally loved our "birds & bees" discussion this year. It was a great time for him and I to discuss these things in more depth...very factually, but biblically...which is one of the very reasons I decided to go with Science 5.

Next year it is back to BJUP science for us. My son will be doing their 7th grade Life Science w/DVD. We really love BJU's science and only departed from it due to the nature of SL's Science 5. It was a good departure though. ;)

I think it would be great if SL added the new Apologia Anatomy book to this science Core! ;)

This would seal the deal for me!

My son is currently coming to the end of SL's Science 5. He has very much enjoyed it. He absolutely LOVED the History of Medicine book. Loved. it. He has also really enjoyed learning anatomy and currently is absorbing and teaching us about survival skills...he now seems to think he is a survival pro...apparently the next "Survivor Man." :lol:

I personally loved our "birds & bees" discussion this year. It was a great time for him and I to discuss these things in more depth...very factually, but biblically...which is one of the very reasons I decided to go with Science 5.

Lol! My boys love Survivor Man and are always coming in with their inventions. And thanks for the thorough description, I think my 11yo would love it.