Menu

Does anyone use only R&S writing lessons?

April in WA

I am currently using CLE's LA's program and really like its student-led approach and want to continue with it. I am seriously thinking about using R&S next year for all three of my children's writing program. Does anyone see a problem with this?

I'd also like help with determining what levels to use. My middle child has previously done a year of IEW but is still rusty on basics like topic and clincher sentences. He will be entering 6th grade. Should I go with the 6th grade text or start baack at 5th? If I start back at 5th, I'm sure there would be some lessons I would feel confident skipping. Should I try to complete the 6th grade writing assignments also next year?

My oldest I'm more unsure about. He will be entering 8th grade. Two and three years ago he went through IEW with average success. This year I made the mistake of putting him in a public school class that covered writing. They have not done near enough or been focused on structure and technique enough IMO. Where should he start? SWB says a starting 7th or 8th grader should start back at book 5, but I figure that's for the grammar specifically. What do you think as far as the writing only? What book should we try to complete next year to finish 8th grade?

Thanks for your thoughts,

April in WA

I am currently using CLE's LA's program and really like its student-led approach and want to continue with it. I am seriously thinking about using R&S next year for all three of my children's writing program. Does anyone see a problem with this?

I'd also like help with determining what levels to use. My middle child has previously done a year of IEW but is still rusty on basics like topic and clincher sentences. He will be entering 6th grade. Should I go with the 6th grade text or start baack at 5th? If I start back at 5th, I'm sure there would be some lessons I would feel confident skipping. Should I try to complete the 6th grade writing assignments also next year?

My oldest I'm more unsure about. He will be entering 8th grade. Two and three years ago he went through IEW with average success. This year I made the mistake of putting him in a public school class that covered writing. They have not done near enough or been focused on structure and technique enough IMO. Where should he start? SWB says a starting 7th or 8th grader should start back at book 5, but I figure that's for the grammar specifically. What do you think as far as the writing only? What book should we try to complete next year to finish 8th grade?

Thanks for your thoughts,

April in WA

I read this earlier, and hoped someone would reply. I'm interested in hearing experiences.

Anyway, I'm just going to totally *guess* that there isn't a problem with using R&S just for its writing lessons, as long as there is grammar being learned elsewhere, so that it can be applied in the writing.

I just went through my R&S 5 book last week and wrote (on flashcards) brief notes from each writing lesson, so I could pull out applicable cards whenever ds is working on a narration paragraph. I could use those cards to coach him along as he writes his history/science/lit. narrations each week.

As to where to start each child, I don't know. Not familiar enough with IEW.

bump.:D

I was just going to ask this very question, but decided to search first and found your post. We're finishing FLL3 and starting FLL4 soon. I would use WWE, but I want a workbook and it's not ready yet... so I'm thinking of getting R&S and using only the writing lessons. I would love to know if anyone else is doing this and if they're happy with it!

Sorry I can't help you with your placement questions.