Menu

Need Advice...CLE Language Arts and Reading

Okay, I am starting to admit defeat on my "plan" for English. This year, I was picking and pulling from LLATL Orange, WT II, and doing GWG 5. It is honestly, exhausting. And now I am getting the feeling I am confusing my child rather than helping him.

I have heard LOTS of good things about CLE Language Arts. Here is my qustion. If I were to drop my current plan (not for this year, but next year), what would you suggest removing and what would you suggest adding?

Here is what I already have (5th grade):

CW Homer/CW Poetry for Beginners

Growing with Grammar 5

LLATL Purple

Here is what I am thinking:

Drop all except CW and use CLE LA along with CW. In this case, would I need CLE Reading? Or is all this still overkill?

CLE reading is reading and more. Yes, I would suggest using CLE LA and reading. Have you looked at the CLE S&S?

We'll be using for gr. 7:

CLE reading 6 (finish 6) - 7 (do 2 LU's)

CLE LA 7

IEW US History Based Writing, v1

Other literature - Kidnapped, Around the World in 80 Days, etc.

CLE reading grades 4 & up only takes 16 wks so you can add other literature to complete the year. You could use ONLY the LLATL books and discussion questions when not using CLE reading (alternate CLE reading LU and then LLATL book).

Edited by MIch elle

Would you drop CW all together with this plan?

because I've never used CW.

I told you my schedule because it does include separate writing - IEW. I don't think writing/composition is that important in 5th grade. In 5th grade, it's important to learn how to type well in prep for longer writing.

Looking at the S&S, I almost think I should start in the middle of 4th grade. The only problem is that I just can't be scrapping curriculum for this year at this late date. :( I am going to try to trudge forth and finish the year with what I have. But I have decided to go with the CLE for English next year. I really like what I see. I wish I could see a sample of the student books though.

I will check out IEW. I want him to do some writing...but I also agree with you that typing is very important too. Is there any writing instruction in the CLE LA?

My dd will use CLE LA 4, CLE Reading 5 and Writing Tales 1 next year for her 4th grade year.

I like WT because it tells me exactly what I need to do. CLE does but I need more hand-holding;)

CW, is that Classical Writing? Have you looked into Writing Trails & Imitation in Writing? I plan to use these with my dc after WT2.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I wish I could see a sample of the student books though.

I will check out IEW. I want him to do some writing...but I also agree with you that typing is very important too. Is there any writing instruction in the CLE LA?

You can see samples of CLE at the CLE yahoo group in the photos section of the group.

I really like IEW History Based Writing lessons by Lori V. She has a new one that looks good for younger writers : All Things Fun and Fascinating

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/AFF%20SampleS.pdf

I've never used CLE LA before. We'll be trying it the first time in the fall (switching from R&S English). But I'm told there isn't much writing/comp.

I switched over to CLE LA and Reading this year with my current 3rd and 5th graders. I LOVE it! It is independently done and thorough.

It is true, there is not much writing in the LA program. The 3rd grade book has the child write a simple three paragraph report on Caribou as a result of learning to use the encyclopedia. This takes about three lessons.

The 5th grade book takes an entire Light Unit to teach the child how to use the encylopedia in more depth. Then the child picks a topic to research and write a three paragraph report on. It is very gradual over the course of 15 lessons with no quizzes or final test. The final report is the grade for that Light Unit. There really isn't any other writing that I can remember. I would suggest an additional writing program to go along with it. We have used Writing Tales II this year. It's a bit overkill when added to the grammar in CLE. We have also found it a bit boring since it's rewritng stories the whole year, but I know many love the program.

I have never used LLATL books so I can't speak definitively to whether you should keep or drop it. I would think if your child is reading books for history and/or independent reading, they would be fine without it if you do the CLE Reading. My kids enjoy the stories and the questions do encourage them to think. They do learn about basic literary terms.

HTH,

April in WA