Menu

RS Spanish --- enough? or need more grammar?

Dc do RS daily but no written work. What do I need to add to give them some grammar study?

Basically, I want them to be able to transition into a high school or college level Spanish class and have a strong foundation. Will the RS "immersion" method do the trick?

I think I asked this a year ago, but now I can't find the old thread.

I'm really curious how RS is preparing your dc for upper levels (any language).

Thanks in advance!

I found the old threads and it looks like Madrigal's Magic Key To Spanish and/or Practice Makes Perfect -- both from Amazon -- are excellent grammar supplements. They also look cheap, which is a bonus.

I'm assuming they both include the answer key.

My dear friend has a 2006 version of SOS Spanish 1 that I can borrow.

Any feedback before I spend more money? Thanks!!

Professor Linney, who wrote "Getting Started With Latin" (which we love) has a similar book which is almost (and is maybe already) being published. "Getting Started with Spanish" is the text. The only thing is that is goes very slowly. It could be a supplement if you want to move along faster with something else like Rosetta Stone.

ETA: His books are on Amazon.

I found the old threads and it looks like Madrigal's Magic Key To Spanish ...

I like Madrigal as an introduction. It's sweet and warm and fun. But it's a bit goofy in the way it introduces grammar, and it doesn't have nearly enough vocabulary. Use it, have fun with it. It's cheap, and you've got to start somewhere, so you may as well start with something fun. But then do something like "Practice Makes Perfect" to fill in the gaps, and then something to build vocabulary.

Dee