Menu

Linguistic Remedies -- anyone have info about this curriculum?

msjones

I was at work yesterday and the tutor next to me was working with 3 students out of her Linguistic Remedies teacher's guide. Yikes.

I only do math at that school, and know nothing about this new program.

There was a lot of getting the kids thinking about where/how certain sounds are formed in their mouths. The 'mouth placement' was somehow related to the spelling. (?) I think? Also, I see little posters of mouths forming sounds around the school. I think you're supposed to 'read' the mouth sounds somehow. :confused:

Based on what I saw/heard, I'm glad that's not how my kids are learning to read and spell. I'm wondering if any of you know anything about it.

I googled and couldn't find the publisher, but I found a bit of information on some tutoring center websites. The program sounds similar to Lindamood Bell Phonemic Sequencing (LiPS), which adds oral-motor association as another way for kids to learn and understand the sounds of language. This is very valuable for kids who lack phonemic awareness.

• 1 year later...
Guest snordie

Yes, you are correct that this is very similar to LiPS. I learned about Linguistic Remedies a year ago. My daughter and I took a class together (I wanted to learn too) at the local homeschooler's group this year. We plan to take the next level this coming year. It does teach you to be aware of what your mouth is doing for what sounds, so when you are trying to spell a word, if you focus on what your mouth, lips & tongue are doing, it narrows down your spelling choices in turn narrowing down your spelling errors. As far as reading, it teaches you rules, then you break down a word into syllables, and using the rules you have learned, it narrows down your pronunciation options. My daughter is not a visual learner, she is kinesthetic. This approach teaches to all learning styles, so for example, if you can feel how far your mouth is open for a particular sound, you only have two or three options to spell it. You also learn all the exceptions to spelling rules and why. This would be hard for me, because I am visual and reading and spelling came naturally to me (I was taught using phonics). However, the way I learn doesn't work for my daughter. I was running out of options to help her, and this seems to be the most successful of anything I have tried in my nine years of homeschooling.