Menu

shurley english 5-can one just jump in?

earthmother

I've been wondering about shurley english. could a child who is strong in english and grammar jump in at level 5 (5th grade) or would it be best to backtrack. I checked out their site and see sample pages for level 3 but no other levels so its hard for me to gauge it.

thanks.

I've been wondering about shurley english. could a child who is strong in english and grammar jump in at level 5 (5th grade) or would it be best to backtrack. I checked out their site and see sample pages for level 3 but no other levels so its hard for me to gauge it.

thanks.

I think you could just jump in. They go back to the beginning each year.

thanks.

My "plan" (used for 4 kids so far, gr 3-11th) is A beka in gr 1-3, SHurley in gr 4-6 (we only do levels 4,6,7 as we find 4 & 5 too redundant) and then Rod & Staff in Gr 7-8 (using level R&S Lev 7 over 2 years in gr 7-8 along with a semester writing (IEW) ea year). My kids are very good at grammar and I attribute that to the base of A Beka, thorough lessons of Shurley & R&S, 3-5years of Latin and some inborn aptitude!

Lisaj