Menu

Narration questions (using FLL)

I am doing some narration exercises with dd 4.5, using FLL. For today's lesson we read the fable about the rabbit and the turtle. Here is her unedited narration:

"The rabbit and the turtle was running the race but the turtle was fast enough because he won the race but the rabbit couldn't because he was taking a nap!"

I wrote this narration down for her and then she read it back to me. I'm wondering if I should be correcting her grammar at this stage. If so, do I do it as I am writing it down? Do I write down her narration word-for-word and then have her watch me re-write it using proper grammar? Or something else?

Thanks!!

I am doing some narration exercises with dd 4.5, using FLL. For today's lesson we read the fable about the rabbit and the turtle. Here is her unedited narration:

"The rabbit and the turtle was running the race but the turtle was fast enough because he won the race but the rabbit couldn't because he was taking a nap!"

I wrote this narration down for her and then she read it back to me. I'm wondering if I should be correcting her grammar at this stage. If so, do I do it as I am writing it down? Do I write down her narration word-for-word and then have her watch me re-write it using proper grammar? Or something else?

Thanks!!

I would very gently correct her grammar as you write it down for her, and have her read it to hear how it sounds when the grammar is correct :001_smile:

I just did this lesson with my almost 6 year old DD the other day. I know my kids find it annoying, and because I've always done it I'm not sure they notice any more, but I correct their grammar even when they speak. It bugs me when they misspeak. I would correct the grammar as DD narrated the story to me. I'd also try to get the sequence of the story correct by prompting with what happened first, next and last. Sequencing a story is very important.