Menu

If I wanted to add Latin reading to LCI & LCII what should I add?

KIN

A few we have used, and I have some still waiting to be read.

I Am Reading Latin Series,By James W. Chochola

I am Reading Latin Stories Set of Four Books ,By Rose Williams

What Will I Eat?: Quid Edam?,By Marie Carducci Bolchazy

38 Latin Stories,By James M. May, Anne H. Groton

Review Latin Verbs, By Lindsay Cooper

There are a few children's book (like Cat in the Hat) written in Latin that are fun.

Some children's books -- especially the translated ones can be quite difficult to read. Try to look for readers that are intended for beginning readers. The Seuss translations are fun but not necessarily easy in regard to vocabulary and grammar employed. The "I Am Reading Latin" series is probably a better choice as far asreading accessibility goes. The Minimus series is good too and there are also mini-book readers available from the author.

This year we're using Minimus with my 9 yo ds who is working his way through LC1. It is going well. We stopped LC1 and are just doing Minimus for 4 chapters, then we'll go back to LC1. It is a great break and my son is getting some good exposure to reading Latin and cultural aspects of Roman life. My older kids are doing Cambridge 1 with their Henle 1 for the same reasons.

This year we're using Minimus with my 9 yo ds who is working his way through LC1. It is going well. We stopped LC1 and are just doing Minimus for 4 chapters, then we'll go back to LC1. It is a great break and my son is getting some good exposure to reading Latin and cultural aspects of Roman life. My older kids are doing Cambridge 1 with their Henle 1 for the same reasons.

Sandra - Do I need the teacher's book to do this with Minimus? Are you using the first book of Minimus? Anything else that would be helpful to me?? :) I think we need a bit of fun added to LCI, we are halfway through and it is becoming drudgery to my ds. I don't want to switch programs, but I thought some reading my be helpful.

Sandra - Do I need the teacher's book to do this with Minimus? Are you using the first book of Minimus? Anything else that would be helpful to me?? :) I think we need a bit of fun added to LCI, we are halfway through and it is becoming drudgery to my ds. I don't want to switch programs, but I thought some reading my be helpful.

I do have the teacher's book and find it very helpful. The translations are in there, besides ideas for supplemental activities and fun worksheets. For example, each chapter has a myth they re-tell. The TM had the idea to do an acrostic poem for "Medusa" for the first chapter. My son had never done an activity like that and enjoyed it. Also, they had a worksheet with lots of adjectives that you could cut out and match with nouns that we used. I think that the book would be fine on its own, but it is nice to be able to have hands-on things to use with it.

I think your son will really enjoy the change. It looks like our sons are about the same age, and mine commented how much more he likes Latin with Minimus.

We are doing Minimus 1. I use the student book and teacher book. I haven't used the CD yet, b/c it is in the classical pronunication. LC1 uses the ecclesiastical pronunciation. I do eventually want my kids to know both, but I think it would be confusing right now. Perhaps I'm wrong, and it would be the best thing for them to be exposed to both early on. :confused:

Hth!