Menu

Co-op ideas

We are trying to think ahead as our kids are reaching the beginnings of high school age and we are trying to up our co-op classes. What has been your experince or even any ideas for classes that would interest highs school age or even ones you would love to see offered. We are also trying to reach a wider group of familes for this age group so any ideas or sugestions would be great.

Annmarie

We have had the most success with Science courses. Our co-op offers all the Apologia courses from middle school level on. My dd is currently studying Apologia Marine Biology and my son Physical Science. These have been good courses because there are lots of labs and with the Marine Biology course, lots of field trips. Now, we are by the Atlantic Ocean, so a perfect venue for field trips....UGA has a marine department here in town, which is a great venue for our highschoolers. The courses I have taught have been Worldview type courses....courses with lots of discussion work well in a co-op setting.

Heather

I'm teaching a public speaking co-op class this year for grade 6-12 students. It's been a great experience for the students and for me! Next year, a number of families are getting interested in a "Shakespeare Dinner Theater" co-op -- some kids focus on acting in a play, others put together sets, props, costumes, while others focus on food prep and service or promotions and ticket sales.

I'm hoping to teach a film class in a year or two (combination of film history, film techniques, and how to analyze film), again for older students, probably age 12-13 and up.

I've always thought these would be great co-op classes:

- filmmaking (with focus on specific aspect, such as: using editing software; special effects; camerwork / framing / lighting; etc.)

- mentor a small group in learning how to play/sing/work together as a praise band or rock n roll band

- computer software familiarity (spreadsheet, word processing, graphic layout or animation program, etc.)

- auto repair

- construction or home repair fields (plumbing, electrical, etc.)

- finances (budgeting, loans, mortgages, saving, etc.)

- Toastmasters or Communicators for Christ public speaking groups

- "quilting bee" co-op -- and donate quilts done by the group

At the high school level, we have:

Art and Music (each 1/2 credit)

Engineering

Computer Applications

Spanish I, II, and III

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

General Lit

American Lit

World Lit

British Lit

American Gov't and Econ (each 1/2 credit)

SAT Prep and Christian Worldview (each 1/2 credit)

Composition (1/2 credit)

Algebra I, II

Geometry

Pre-Calculus

Communicators for Christ (1/2 credit)

We also publish a monthly newspaper and an annual yearbook; students may receive Journalism credit for their work on those publications. There are occasional field trips to such places as the Science center and State Museum. We have regular "just for fun" events as well.

The co-op is sponsoring athletic teams this year for the first time. We have had Volleyball, Basketball, and Soccer this year.

This co-op started off small, in a family's home many years ago. It has built over the years. The director's oldest child will be graduating this year, along with about 11 others. Next year's class will be over 20.

HTH