Menu

Question about Literary Lessons LOTR.

I am wanting to fit this into our high school plan somewhere. I was wondering if it is a full or half year of work from anyone who has used it. How did you count it toward high school credit?

well, actually my 16 yo ds is!

It is not a 1/2 yr program, but as soon as i say that someone will pipe in that they did it that way:001_smile:.

It can be done as a one year, but I'm using as a 2 yr program and adding in extra reading and writing. I'm calling in English 10 and English 11 and will give it a credit per year. If ds did it in one year, I'd give it one credit.

Teresa

We used it for English 11, I called it Intro to Literary Analysis, per the author's advice and gave it 1 credit. My DD followed the daily lesson plans found on the curriculum website for completing the course in 1 year, which we simply printed off and put into a binder. Very east. She loved it.

BTW: I have the complete set for sale! Great curriculum!

We used LLftLotR last year with our (then) 8th and 9th grade boys and LOVED it! Because of our modifications, we counted LLftLotR as the literature part of 1 credit for English.

We modified it by:

- completely dropping the fill-in-the-blank comprehension and vocabulary worksheets

- skipped the writing assignments

- saved the additional literature (The Iliad, The Odyssey, Beowulf, Sir Gawain, Arthurian literature) for future year

- and did the rest of the program aloud together

9th Grade English (1 credit):

- literature portion = Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

- writing portion = Put That in Writing (greatly modified; plus other writing)

- grammar portion = Winston Advanced (plus resources to practice grammar mechanics and word usage)

As far as doing it in half a year... I suppose that's possible, if you don't read complete versions of any of the additional works discussed in the additional units, or make some modifications. We did take a full year; with our modifications, we spent about 4 hours a week on the program (approx. 2 hours reading aloud (which is slower than reading to yourself) the 3 books of the trilogy (doing it in 1-2 nights a week); and then approx. 2 hours a week during the school day to read the additional notes, discuss, and over the 12 additional units over the course of the year). If the student does the program as written, and is reading the works on their own, then I would guess it would still take 4-5 hours a week to complete.

Hope something here is of help! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info