Menu

Sending some of the dc back to ps...how to prepare?

So, the time has come and the decision has pretty much been made. At least 3 of my dc (dd12, ds10 and ds9) will be going to ps next year after 4 years at home. Dh and I have been praying and discussing this for some time, talking with the kids and have pretty much decided that it will be best for all of us...for now. But, I'm still terrified. How would you prepare them for this transition? We plan to visit the schools each would be going to, hopefully set up a day that they can spend a day at the school and possilbly "shadow" a current student for a day (they each have friends there already). What about our focus academically for the remainder of the year? What would you focus on? I'm really feeling down about this, but I know in my heart it is the best decision for now. I'm trying not to feel like a complete failure, but it's hard. Anyone btdt and have any tips for me? Thanks.

This may sound kind of silly, but I would start giving them homework that they have to do after 4pm that lasts about 1.5 hours. This is also going to prepare you to get used to helping you dc in the afternoon with homework. Honestly, helping with homework can be pretty draining.

I would also start giving them written timed "test" in every subject and not allow them to ask for help on the tests. Grade the tests and make that grade count.

These were the two hardest things my dd had to adjust to. She was use to being done with school and having the evening "school free". I also didn't administer "test" the way public school does. I gave her math tests, but she had as much time as needed. Other than math, her grades were based on her daily work grades.

Have you oldest dc start sitting for 50min blocks with 5 minute breaks. That is about the average class time period. You also might want to schedule bathroom times and give them only 1 bathroom pass to go at a non scheduled time.

I know these are odd suggestion, but they are things that PS kids do on a regular basis that is not necessary to a homeschooler.

I would also not "camp out" on an area that my dc was struggling with. I really hate to say that because it is a good thing, but one that will not be done in a classroom setting. If you child doesn't understand during "school time" try to help him understand during "homework time", but don't change the homework load. That is how it will be when they start school.

Call your local elementary school, tell them the situation, and ask for a copy of the books for the grades of your children now. By law they have to give them to homeschoolers if asked. You'll feel a lot better if you can see exactly what it is that the kids are using at the school, and you'll be able to teach anything that you haven't covered so your guys will be ready to roll come fall.

Don't worry too much, Sue. I put my four sons in public school late last Feb. At the times they were in grades 10, 8, 6, and 5. They literally jumped into the last quarter of school. They loved it. They did just fine socially and academically. There was no transition time needed.

It's going to be okay. Really!

Ria