Menu

Anyone wish to share their weekly schedule or outline?

We attempting to cover:

History

Geography

Math

Reading - Comprehension

Grammer

Vocabulary

Science

It is a lot to tackle in the afterhours. I am trying to get us on a daily schedule for each item but so far I'm playing each night as it comes and work off my list. Math and reading are the easiest. History and literature reading are the second tier that is next and the others I squeeze in.

How are you all scheduling your activies and what activies are you doing?

Samba

I finally devised an Excell spreadsheet to keep track of when each of us needs to do what. PM me your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Basically, days of the week are listed across the top with each of our names for each day. Times (down to the 15 minutes) are listed down the side. Subjects are color coded. This finally got us productively on track and has made all the difference.

• 2 years later...

We do math and handwriting/spelling roughly three days /week for approximately 20 minutes total. Bible study for another 10-15 minutes/day during the week. Then on days off/ snow days/ Saturdays, etc. we add in geography/cultural study to correlate what I'm doing with dd that takes about an hour. I also keep plenty of library books in the house to go along with the country we are studying and the boys use those for free reading. I guess that's not really a schedule though is it?:confused: We submit our afterschooling to the homework of the day and adjust as necessary. hope this helps a little...

ETA: we use car rides to listen to great literature, SOTW, and Bible on audio and we do our read alouds at bedtime. I will also be adding in sentence diagramming either afterschool or summer school, not sure yet because I haven't gotten the books in yet.

Edited by urban mama

Are you doing Kumon workbooks or going to a Kumon center for math and reading? If you are going to a center is that why math and reading are the easiest? I am planning on afterschooling (my son is not yet in kindergarten) and my school uses Everyday Math so I am trying to get a head start on math. A lot of students are using Kumon to supplement Everyday Math. I am hoping to use Singapore Math at home, but with time constraints that will probably come up I am thinking I might have to eventually pay for Kumon math by third or fourth grade. If you are using center based Kumon, what grade/age did you start and any advise?

I just looked at the dates and realized the OP is from 2009?!? I don't know how this got dredged up :001_smile: but she may not respond :)

We don't use Kumon, we use a combo of SM, MathMammoth and Miquon for my youngest. For my older son we use Transition Math (UCSMP) and Life Of Fred and fo both we add in computer games and board games as needed to mix it up.

as an aside At the risk of getting flamed, I think at least part of the problem with Everyday Math is that the PS teachers are not trained in implementing it. I was given the first three years worth of curriculum to try with my kids when I had them all home still to see if I liked it. I actually really liked the curriculum, it was just awkward to use in a home setting. But on reviewing it, I can see how it really needs to be implemented by someone who has totally bought into the philosophy behind the curriculum. It is not "open and go". Maybe your child will have a teacher who does a good job with the curriculum. My friend used EM for several years teaching K-1 and her kids did great in math, she was totally bummed when her district switched to something more "open and go" workbook based because she was one of the few teachers who understood how to teach EM.

as an aside At the risk of getting flamed, I think at least part of the problem with Everyday Math is that the PS teachers are not trained in implementing it.

I'd guess that this would be the case only if the school district in question doesn't make use of the publishers ongoing training in the curriculum. That's one more of the problems with EM, TERC, and the like. Teachers are already trained to teach, yet districts that adopt these programs must also invest in training them on how to teach these specific programs. This increases expense and robs students of their teachers several days out of the year.