Menu

If you have a student wanting to pursue a career in science...

...what types of things have you found for them to do as "extra?" Science fairs? Internship opportunities? Research with professors or field scientists?

I'm going crazy trying to find things for my son. Any help would be appreciated!

(I tried to search the forums and couldn't find anything. I'm terrible at that! Sorry.:blushing:)

We have always made time for labs during the regular school year as well, but we found that we just don't have time for extras during the regular year, like research types of things.

We have attended the Physics is Phun lecture series at our local university also, but that is just 3 or 5 times a year, for an evening.

We live in a major suburb of Washington DC,so there are lots of universities around us. We have had lots of good experiences with summer camp programs, day camp and sleep away, hosted by the university. We found them by searching on the university website. Usually they list things under the prospective students or outreach tabs. Or if there is an internal search option, you could key in "high school science".

Likewise, some of the professional associations run summer programs, like the ASM, which runs materials camps.

You could also do a google search for science camps in your region. But, I think I'd start by checking at the local colleges if possible.

HTH

It really depends on what field of science your dd or ds is interested in studying. Here's an example of what we did when my oldest was really interested in herpetology for a while: We find the most hands-on science programs for her courses, take lots of field trips, she helps out with our family business (lots of wildlife education there), we breed some types of reptiles, she volunteered at the Central FL Zoo as a Teen Team member, and went to Central FL Herpetological Society meetings and reptile shows with me.

There are a lot of opportunities such as that available in various aspects of science.

Now we are doing similar things with her computer studies. She has some super duper computer inher room with two hard drives and all sorts of toys. She has ben paid to do video editing for a friend's business, and she takes Web Design with FL Virtual School. She has a few mentors that she chats with now and again.

My 2d is definitely geared for science. Right now he's interested in robotics and reptiles. Robotic reptiles? lol.

Some options we are pursuing:

Dallas Zoo Jr. Zookeeper program for next year --i understand that other zoos have a similar program. If yours doesn't, maybe tehy'd be willing to consider starting one?

4-H: projects in both categories

Scouts: Merit Badge in Reptile and Amphibian now, various science/ engineering/ space exploration ones later

Robotics club for all ages: see if your area has one. Ask at the science museums too.

Science Fairs

Dallas area: Winston Science program

We are doing a Lego Mindstorms club w/ another family, hoping to enter the Winston challenge in the fall, and expecting to start an official FLL the year after

Ask around and see if there are any retired science geeks that wouldn't mind accomopanying y'all on tours or serving as mentors for projects. I know the Scout Offices keep a list of merit Badge counselors that you might be able to access, or at least give them your info and they will contact the people for you.

If you can afford it, then Science camps would be ideal, especially if you can attend w/ them. I expect to send the guys and dh to Space Camp eventually ;)

good luck!