Menu

A ? about AAS level 2 We are on step 15 /er/

I was suprised when 'super' was on the list of spelling words for this step. We have not gone over the sound that u makes in this word and it really throw my dd9 off. I was stumped as well since I learned to spell by rote memorization and not by rules. I have no idea have to explain to her why u is making the sound it is in this word. Help!

I'm no expert but I hope this helps.......

In the word SUPER, the u is making the other long sound of u (pronounced oo). I have level 1 and within the lessons there is plenty of review that covers the consonants and all the vowel sounds. It is important to keep in mind that the vowels have more than two sounds, short and long. In the case of the u vowel, the sounds are: u (us), u (unicorn), and u (put). So, again in SUPER the slient e is making the u say it's other long name, the sound of u (oo). The other long sound of u (unit), and the one most people probably think of, will make the workdsay SU(YOU)PER and that of course would make no sense; hence two ways to say the long u. Now, in the word SUPPER, the extra p is placed there to act as a buffer between silent e and the u vowel, therefore preserving the short u sound.

I also often use the phonogram CD (a must buy if you don't have it) so that my dd can listen to all the vowel sounds especially.

There is a blog dedicated to AAS that you may find usefull. The web address i: thechatterbee.com

HTH

I'm no expert but I hope this helps.......

In the word SUPER, the u is making the other long sound of u (pronounced oo). I have level 1 and within the lessons there is plenty of review that covers the consonants and all the vowel sounds. It is important to keep in mind that the vowels have more than two sounds, short and long. In the case of the u vowel, the sounds are: u (us), u (unicorn), and u (put). So, again in SUPER the slient e is making the u say it's other long name, the sound of u (oo). The other long sound of u (unit), and the one most people probably think of, will make the workdsay SU(YOU)PER and that of course would make no sense; hence two ways to say the long u. Now, in the word SUPPER, the extra p is placed there to act as a buffer between silent e and the u vowel, therefore preserving the short u sound.

I also often use the phonogram CD (a must buy if you don't have it) so that my dd can listen to all the vowel sounds especially.

There is a blog dedicated to AAS that you may find usefull. The web address i: thechatterbee.com

HTH

Okay, now I'm really confused! LOL I thought the sound u was making in super was more like the sound in soup, /ou/ sound. To me it is not making the same sound as in the word put. AGH!

Okay, now I'm really confused! LOL I thought the sound u was making in super was more like the sound in soup, /ou/ sound. To me it is not

making the same sound as in the word put. AGH!

I can't think of exact words now, but there have been probably 5 or 6 words in AAS that due to my extreme southern drawl (no other way to say it!) I grew up with, my words didn't sound the same as her examples. I think "super" is a word different regions pronounce differently. So, if the word is driving you nuts, don't worry about it and move on. There are a few times that I'd tell my son......"This is what the book says...., etc. but we hear it pronounced it this way where we live". There have probably been only the 5 or 6 words in all of the books so far, but I noticed some differences in a few words. I say, don't sweat it and move on :001_smile:

Step 10 in AAS 2 is "Spelling the sounds of /u/(long) and /z/". The first section under New Teaching is "Teach the Two Sounds of Long U." In the first sound you hear the /y/ part of the long u sound as in "use" but sometimes the /y/ part is left of and you end up with more of an "oo" sound as in June. So the "u" in super is that second long u sound in an open syllable. HTH.

But I think you can explain why this works using rules that have already been taught. The u has 4 sounds. /U/ in umbrella is the short sound. The long sound can either have the y on the front or not. So, you could have super which is /oo/ or tube which is like /yoo/ actually the letter's name. Then you have the sound in put, which is not actually very common.

The /oo/ sound can be spellled ou in soup, oo in toot, u in super.

I'm very southern, but I think it can be explained in a way that is easily understandable for us and for the kiddos.

When you follow the rules which makes the vowel u say its long sound, the child should try /yoo/ first and if that doesn't work then try /oo/. It depends on the preceding consonant as to which one is going to sound right. Either pronunciation is acceptable.

One other thing, someone said something about the e in super making the u have its long sound. I don't agree with this. I believe it makes its long sound because it is at the end of a syllable. The e is part of the phonogram /er/ and shouldn't effect the u.

Yes, step 10 covers this--and if you skipped over reading the gray box on page 58, you'll want to make sure to read that. The sound in super is the same that is in rule and June in that lesson.

HTH! Merry :-)

Let me make sure I've got this right. The 3 sounds of u are short, long, and then oo with the curved line on top, I don't know how to show that. But sometimes the long sound of you can have two sounds, the one with the /y/ sound in front of it, and then the one without the oo sound? I'm kind of suprised this isn't included on the phonograms cards. I remember going over this in that lesson but we've been away from spelling for about a month now and I think she and I have both forgotten almost everything!:blink:

Let me make sure I've got this right. The 3 sounds of u are short, long, and then oo with the curved line on top, I don't know how to show that. But sometimes the long sound of you can have two sounds, the one with the /y/ sound in front of it, and then the one without the oo sound? I'm kind of suprised this isn't included on the phonograms cards. I remember going over this in that lesson but we've been away from spelling for about a month now and I think she and I have both forgotten almost everything!:blink:

I think you meant with the /y/ sound in front, or without the /y/ sound. That would be correct. If it helps your kids, you can add in saying that when they do the phonics review card. My kids like to be exact & say /you/ or /oo/ sometimes when we review that, LOL!

The reason that /y/ sound drops off is because of how we physically form the words. Try saying "super" with the /y/ sound in there! All of the words where it drops off are because it's just too hard for the mouth to keep it in there.

HTH! Merry :-)

If you go over the vowel phonogram cards, all the sounds for each vowel are clearly stated and must be reviewed until mastered. Even though dd knows them forwards and backwards, I still have her recite them from time to time to make sure she retains the infromation. Aslo, the phonogram CD is excellent for learning the proper sounds.

As someone previously stated, in an open syllable, the long sound of u will be oo (stooge).

HTH