Menu

Short Delaware stay in April--Rehoboth or Lewes?

We are driving from Vermont to Williamsburg, VA in April and want to break up the trip with a two-night stay near the coast in Delaware. I'm looking at Lewes and Rehoboth, mostly because we don't want to get too far away from 95.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Kids are 13, 9, 9, and 3.

Oh, and I know the water will be too cold for swimming.

That's a pretty big detour. Are you going to finish your journey via Route 13 and take the Bay Bridge-Tunnel? I have a friend with a vacation home in Rehoboth and have stayed there off-season 1/2 a dozen times. It's a nice town, we usually go bike riding, beach combing, and window shopping. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant we eat crab cakes at, lots of good restaurants.

That's a pretty big detour. Are you going to finish your journey via Route 13 and take the Bay Bridge-Tunnel? I have a friend with a vacation home in Rehoboth and have stayed there off-season 1/2 a dozen times. It's a nice town, we usually go bike riding, beach combing, and window shopping. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant we eat crab cakes at, lots of good restaurants.

I'll have to look at Mapquest again. I think it said staying in Lewes would add an hour total to our Vermont-Williamsburg travel time. It looked like Rehoboth was not that much farther than Lewes, but I should take another look before we book.

Are there lots of interesting shells on the beach? My kids would love that. The last time they were on the beach was two years ago in France.

I'll have to look at Mapquest again. I think it said staying in Lewes would add an hour total to our Vermont-Williamsburg travel time. It looked like Rehoboth was not that much farther than Lewes, but I should take another look before we book.

No, Rehoboth is not much farther, but I think the travel time is shorter if you shoot down Rt 13, taking the Bay Bridge-Tunnel is an interesting experience.

Are there lots of interesting shells on the beach?
No really interesting, just something relaxing to do.

Lewes is a quaint beach town with lovely shops and restaurants. The beach is on the bayside and there is a great state park - Cape Henlopen. Rehobeth, well, it would be similar to San Francisco and Provincetown, MA if you get my drift... It is pretty touristy too.

Our family loves Lewes. There is a great Ice Cream Parlor and toy store right in town - very family friendly

Lewes is a quaint beach town with lovely shops and restaurants. The beach is on the bayside and there is a great state park - Cape Henlopen. Rehobeth, well, it would be similar to San Francisco and Provincetown, MA if you get my drift... It is pretty touristy too.

Our family loves Lewes. There is a great Ice Cream Parlor and toy store right in town - very family friendly

Thanks for the response. Lewes sounds very nice. I think if DH and I were going alone, that would be our choice, but I found a motel right on the boardwalk in Rehoboth, and I think the kids were prefer that. Hmm.

As for the San Francisco/Provincetown reference, that's really not an issue for our family.

We live in Ocean City Maryland and often go to WIlliamsburg. We drive down the peninsula of Virginia and it is a beautiful drive(much better tahn I-95 in my opinion) If you drive down the peninsula you will have to take the long bridge tunnel which cost about $12.00 I believe.

Karen

It's just a bit further (seriously, about 10 minutes) but it might be a nice mix. They have a little boardwalk but it's not quite as busy as Rehobeth and definitely not as crazy as Ocean City!

We have stayed often at Sea Colony (search through resortquest) which has fantastic condominiums right on the beach, indoor pools, tennis courts, etc. Since you are going in April, it may not be a lot more than a hotel and BELIEVE ME, with kids, it is so much nicer to have a living room to relax in overlooking the water rather than a tiny hotel room. They even have a full kitchen, should you decide to make your own breakfast, lunch or dinner and save some $$ on that!

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time - we were there over New Years and had a great time!

Aaah... Lewes/Rehoboth...my oldest dd was born in Lewes and we have fond memories of the whole area... I taught middle school there for a few years before moving north again.

I think your Rehoboth beach-front hotel sounds ideal. Plenty of dining, family-friendly, more to walk/see/do than Bethany, imho.

I agree with others that the bay-bridge tunnel is a great choice as you head south. I think your kids would love it too--it's kind of odd to be out on the "island" as you travel.

Truly, Lewes is right up the road (less than 15 minutes) so visiting there is certainly an option if you wish.

Our favorite pizza in Rehoboth is Nicola's on 2nd St. I believe, though locals will direct you to "Grotto's"...I'd pass. :tongue_smilie:

I'm jealous...we have such wonderful friends there and have been contemplating another visit to the area (sigh)...enjoy your trip!!

I spent all my childhood/teen summers in Rehoboth. As a family of six tht can't afford hotels or rentals in Rehoboth any more, we camp at Cape Henlopen in Lewes alot. If it were summer, I would pick Rehoboth with kids as there is a nice Funland on the boardwalk that my kids love. But it doesn't open until May. So you may be limited to shopping or maybe some kite flying on the beach, and great food. There are also outlets on the way into town and a movie theater.

If you are into nature activities, Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes is fabulous. Gorgeous beaches (much nicer than Rehoboth's) for walking, dunes to explore, a nature center etc. It would be easy to drive over there for an afternoon..just 15 minutes or so away at that time of year. Both towns are great and either one is highly recommended by me. Oh yeah, I LOVE Grotto Pizza in Rehoboth (and on the highway by Lewes, called the Grand Slam, but with Grotto Pizza):)